City : Calgary, AB
Category : Full time, Merchandising
Industry : Retail Goods
Employer : Canadian Tire
What You’ll Do
The VP of Merchandising is instrumental in leading the SportChek Merchandising team. Reporting to the Chief Merchant, SportChek, this person will work closely with leaders from across the business, as well as external vendor partners and be influential in shaping the assortment, category strategies, and financial and operational plans for the SportChek and Atmosphere retail banners.
The primary focus of the VP Merchandising role is to develop and execute the Category and Assortment Strategy. The role is required to establish merchandising plans that are linked to both Customer Insights and Financial targets and that enable the Merchants to deliver best in class assortments. The VP of Merchandising also plays a critical leadership role in supporting a collaborative cross-functional environment that focuses on delivering an exceptional Customer Experience throughout the Customers’ Path to Purchase. This leader will need to have a strong understanding of category management, financial planning, product development, in-season management, team development, vendor management and strategic thinking.
Embracing and driving change is critical to our success. The complexity and rate at which the retail industry is transforming has increased exponentially in recent years and we are committed to being a leader in the industry. As such, we are relentlessly focused on innovating at every level of our business, investing in new technologies and products, and doubling down on the best talent to drive the company forward.
- Lead a large buying team including the development and execution of assortment strategies and programs with specific sales, margin and inventory performance targets, with consideration of Customer experience and insights.
- Be responsible for creating a strategic multi-year vision for the business.
- Be responsible for creating & maintaining productive vendor partnerships.
- Approval of assortment plans and inventory management for all lines of business while ensuring the team is consistently meeting or exceeding financial targets.
- Lead a team to understand opportunities in new markets and provide analysis & recommendations for pursuing them.
- Manage a team of high potential / high performing managers by providing functional leadership and coaching to direct reports in areas of employee development, performance management and succession planning.
- Ensure entire team is focused on driving key activity areas.
What You Bring
- A bachelor's degree in business, marketing, merchandising, or a related field is typically required.
- At least 10-15 years of progressive experience in merchandising, with a focus on product selection, pricing, and inventory management.
- Previous leadership roles in merchandising or related areas, such as category management or product development.
- Strong leadership skills, including experience managing and leading teams.
- Proven ability to develop and implement strategic plans for merchandising.
- Experience in cross-functional collaboration with other departments, such as marketing, sales, and supply chain.
- Proficiency in data analysis and the ability to use insights to drive merchandising decisions.
- A deep understanding of the industry and market trends.
- Experience with market research, trend analysis, and forecasting.
- Strong negotiation skills for dealing with suppliers, vendors, and other stakeholders, including a demonstrated ability to secure favorable terms and conditions.
- Familiarity with the competitive landscape and the ability to identify opportunities for growth.
- Demonstrated ability to bring innovative and creative ideas to the merchandising process, with a track record of implementing successful merchandising strategies.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, for effectively conveying merchandising strategies and objectives to various stakeholders.
We value flexibility. We have adopted a hybrid work model whereby employees use a combination of working in office and virtually in service of outcomes. Each leader is empowered to decide what work is best achieved in person based on the unique needs of their team.
At Sport Chek, we want to find what moves you, and help build your career from there. As Canada’s destination for footwear, apparel, and sporting goods; we believe that sport and activity has the power to help shape your style, your relationships, and your mind. Along with colleagues across the Canadian Tire family of companies, you’ll be a part of a collaborative network of like-minded individuals who draw on their collective experience to best serve customers across all banners from coast-to-coast. Join us, where there's a place for you here.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
We are committed to fostering an environment where belonging thrives, and diversity, inclusion and equity are infused into everything we do. We believe in building an organizational culture where people are consistently treated with dignity while respecting individual religion, nationality, gender, race, age, perceived ability, spoken language, sexual orientation, and identification. We are united in our purpose of being here to help make life in Canada better.
We stand firm in our Core Value that inclusion is a must. We welcome and encourage candidates from equity-seeking groups such as people who identify as racialized, Indigenous, 2SLGBTQIA+, women, people with disabilities, and beyond. Should you require any accommodation in applying for this role, or throughout the interview process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to help meet your needs.