Vice President, Energy
City : Calgary, AB
Category : ERI - Resources
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is currently seeking a National Vice-President Energy to join the Energy, Resources and Industry (ERI) leadership team in Canada. Reporting to the Executive Vice-President, ERI, this role provides leadership and strategic direction for WSP’s process and chemical Energy market sector in Canada. Primary responsibilities include overall P&L responsibility including financial, sales and project delivery, as well priority for safety, quality, client service, and people management and overall performance of a multi-disciplinary engineering, design, advisory and project delivery business.
This is a unique opportunity to grow an existing business as part of our strategic plan that already offers innovative, value-engineered solutions that draw on decades of experience, through your valuable experience building a discipline across provinces/territories and through your understanding of the challenges and risks of this sector. This role ensures coordination of efforts across provinces and other sectors, and as such, you will have significant demonstrable experience optimizing the financial, commercial, and project delivery performance of an existing business, developing plans, programs and organizational objectives to enhance margins, workforce utilization, and cash generation enabling the growth of the business and ensuring client satisfaction. All activities are undertaken in support of the WSP Canada strategic plan.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Develops the Canadian process Energy strategic and operating plans in collaboration with the Energy, Resources and Industry leadership team, the sector line finance leader, and beyond.
- Provides leadership by communicating the vision, strategy, operating plan, budgets and targets, engaging all business line operational and project management employees in achieving the objectives of the business line.
- Responsible for optimizing the performance of the discipline’s operations, including, project delivery, margin, staff utilization, billings and collections, and general administration costs.
- With key support from the sector finance leader, forecasts the business line’s financial performance, ensuring accurate revenue recognition and preparation of monthly/ quarterly/annual forecasts.
- Leads business and market development efforts for Energy within Canada.
- Builds relationships with key clients, industry organizations, teaming partners, and stakeholders to identify opportunities and grow the business.
- Collaborates with peers nationally and in other geographies to leverage technical expertise, ensure client satisfaction and implement best practices.
- Allocates business development resources and investments to deliver acceptable returns on the business development investments, aligned with the business line strategy and its backlog and sales targets.
- Conducts regular project reviews to ensure budget, schedule, risk, and cost to complete estimates are in order.
- Works closely with the finance, quality, legal/risk, and project delivery shared services to advance project management tools such as project status reports, ensuring the design meets business line requirements and proper deployment and utilization within the business line.
- Ensures collaboration within the business line and across the business lines to ensure effective resource sharing, workload/resource balancing
- Responsible for managing and developing employees in accordance with WSP core values, the performance management program and the job architecture and job family structure, including supporting the identification and retention of and investment in top talent
- Ensures a high degree of employee engagement and low turnover of staff by fostering a high performance culture
- Visibly champions the WSP programs of safety and ethics & compliance to ensure they are an overriding part of the organizational culture
- Other duties as assigned/required.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Bachelor's degree in business, engineering or other technical discipline preferred.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience in the engineering services or related sector, with at least 5 years of senior management experience;
- A solid understanding of the process Energy market in Canada and globally, including upstream and midstream oil and gas, energy transport and storage, renewable fuels and decarbonization technologies;
- An existing network of senior industry contacts within the sector;
- A strong and sustained history of delivering quality financial performance and results;
- A proven track record of developing business with existing and new clients, as well as experience in interfacing with senior client stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to strategically address growth opportunities and articulate evolving priorities in the market;
- The ability to successfully lead with little direction to meet organizational goals;
- Confidence to influence a high caliber team to drive a business to higher performance levels and seize the opportunities presented internally and in the market;
- Advanced people and leadership skills to effectively manage relationships which may be indirect in order to achieve consensus, direction and achievement of results; and
- A track record of creating a climate where people want to do their best through working collaboratively, empowering teams to identify and solve problems, creating a clear sense of identity with the company, and holding teams accountable for meeting their collective goals;
- The role will be located in Calgary;
- Must be open for travel throughout Canada and on occasion internationally;
- Internal WSP experience considered a strong asset, but not required.