Vice President, Audit, Credit Risk
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1H1
Category : Top Executives
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 184872
We are committed to investing in our employees and helping you continue your career at Scotiabank.
Vice President, Audit, Credit Risk
Oversees and leads a team of auditors responsible for internal audit activities for the management of non-retail credit risk in support of the Corporate Audit in executing its global mandate. Determines whether internal controls, risk management, and governance processes are adequately designed, implemented, and operating effectively.
• Leads and drives a customer-focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems, and knowledge.
• Manages the Annual Planning and Risk Assessment process by preparing the Plan strategy and providing input into the development, completion, and reporting of the Annual Audit Plan, ensuring audit methodology is used, objectives are met, the Plan is completed, and appropriate working papers are maintained and conform to IIA and Department standards
• Validates business line Audit Plans and continuously conducts risk assessments throughout the year to identify other areas of emerging risk for audit coverage consideration and ensures the latest industry standards and regulatory requirements are incorporated to keep the Plan current and robust.
• Reviews audit issues to ensure internal control weaknesses and root causes are identified, properly defined, documented, and reported; ensures issues are understood by senior management and that corrective action will be taken; prepares and reviews audit reports for presentation to line management.
• Maintains effective internal communication across the Audit Department as well as effective lines of communication with auditees and senior management, including appropriate handling of conflicts and issue resolution.
• Directs day-to-day activities in a manner consistent with the Bank’s risk culture and the relevant risk appetite statement and limits. Communicates the Bank’s risk culture and risk appetite statement throughout their teams.
• Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to, and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
• Builds a high-performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops, and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vision/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
Education and Experience
• Full fluency in Spanish is required.
• Professional accounting or similar risk-based designation or MBA/CFA.
• Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in either credit risk, banking, or Internal Audit
• Highly proficient in applying risk-based auditing standards, practices, techniques, processes and methodology to the performance and review of audits.
• Through knowledge of Banking and the financial services industry.
• Working knowledge of the operations and regulatory environments in each of the audit units globally as required for specific areas of assigned responsibility.
• Demonstrated ability to supervise multiple projects at a given time.
• Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills to work with staff and management at various levels.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Note: All postings in me@Scotiabank will remain live for a minimum of 5 days.