Utility Worker (Water Maintenance Group)
City : Edmonton
Category : Temporary Full Time
Industry : Utilities
Employer : EPCOR
Highlights of the job
We are hiring one (1) full-time temporary (for up to 11 months), Utility Worker (Water) position, working for the Water Treatment Plants (WTPs) Maintenance group in Edmonton, AB!
What you’d be responsible for
- Developing and implementing safe work plans, hazard assessments, and tailgate talks to ensure worker safety within the Utility Work group.
- Assisting various trades (Mechanical, Electrical/Instrument, Welding, and HVAC).
- Performing specific duties, including:
- Snow removal and sanding
- Clarifier cleaning
- Reservoir/clarifier isolation, washing, and disinfecting
- Monthly inspection for equipment (first aid kits, defibrillator, cranes).
- Site representative for contractor work related to Facilities
- Worksite inspection corrective action items
- Other related duties as required.
What’s required to be successful
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent
- Knowledgeable background in trades and utility work and related duties
- Basic understanding of computer software (i.e. Microsoft Suite Word and Excel)
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Motor Vehicle Operators License
- Ability to qualify for and maintain an EPCOR driver's permit
- A Driver Abstract (5yr. Commercial type) may be required
- Limited to 6 demerits or less (prior infractions for unsafe driving behaviours will be evaluated and considered for non-selection regardless of current demerits on file)
- Drivers with a GDL license will not be considered
- Ability to meet the physical demands required of this position
- Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required
- Must be willing and able to wear all appropriate Personal Protective Equipment.
- Security Background Clearance (criminal check) and professional reference check may be required.
Additionally, the following qualifications are considered an asset and preference may be provided to individuals who possess:
- Minimum of 3 years of directly related work experience in a utility company
- Completion of post-secondary education related to a Skilled Trades or general Utility coursework
- Proven mechanical inclination
- Exceptional performance and attendance records
- The successful candidate will be required to take safety and job-related training and be able to work with minimum supervision.
As the successful candidate, you demonstrate strong organizational, troubleshooting and decision making skills, and are committed to service and excellence. You take ownership and demonstrate initiative by achieving objectives on time and adapting to changes in the workplace. You also consistently focus on continuous improvement and possess an affinity to learn and train others on new and existing processes.
Health and safety are integral to EPCOR's work, and we strive to maintain a zero-injury organizational culture. As such, you have a demonstrated history of safety awareness and a safe work record to date.
Other important facts about this job
Jurisdiction: IBEW1007; Class: SS1
Wage $23.32 per hour; $30.57 per hour for Provisional employees, in accordance with the Collective Agreement
Hours of work: 8.0 hours per day; 40.0 per week between 07:00 and 18:00 hours, 5 days per week, Monday to Friday. However, in accordance with Article 6.02 of the Collective Agreement, the workweek may be any five (5) consecutive days.
NOTE: This position will work at either E.L. Smith WTP (where there is limited public transportation) and Rossdale WTP. The successful applicant must provide their own transportation.
Application deadline: June 6, 2023
Internal EPCOR Employees please ensure that you are using your “@epcor.com” email address.
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Glassdoor or Facebook!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age, successfully attained a high school diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education) and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.