Underground Mine Operator 4
City : Labrador, NL, CAN
Category : See posting
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Vale
Job Title: Underground Mine Operator 4
Who We Are
Welcome to Vale. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. Together. We value our workforce and strive to offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale Base Metals is one of the world's largest producers of high-quality nickel and an important producer of copper and responsibly sourced cobalt. With headquarters in Toronto, Canada, and operations in Newfoundland & Labrador, Ontario, Manitoba, UK, Indonesia, and Brazil, we are delivering the critical building blocks for a cleaner, greener future.
Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine the critical minerals that power electric vehicles, build renewable energy solutions, and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our Newfoundland and Labrador Operations are an integrated mining, milling, and processing operation. Nickel concentrate from the fly-in, fly-out Voisey’s Bay operation is shipped to our state-of-art Long Harbour Processing Plant where it is refined into low-carbon and high-purity nickel rounds, cobalt rounds and copper cathodes.
We are currently seeking UNDERGROUND MINE OPERATOR 4’s to join our Underground Mine Operations team in Voisey’s Bay, NL.
This is a permanent position based at the Voisey’s Bay mine site in Labrador, a fly-in fly out operation, with a two week on, two week off rotation.
Reporting to the Underground Mine Operations Supervisor, the Underground Mine Operator 4 is responsible to perform the support functions in the underground mining operation.
The Underground Mine Operator 4 is a classification within the progression plan, in which employees will have the opportunity to develop skills and experience for advancement.
Additionally, in this position, you will:
- Operate various pieces of underground mining equipment such as Scissor Lift, Forklift (bucket), Backhoe, Boom Truck, and Utility Vehicle.
- Receive induction to Mine Rescue & Emergency Response (underground).
- Gain exposure to Maintenance Workshop.
- Convey messages with hand, cap light and audible signals.
- Utilize and respond to communication devices.
- Complete various reports and read and interpret mine level plans.
- Perform general inspection of ventilation, hand and power tools, and fire extinguishers.
- Install signs and/or lights in areas as required.
- Perform general services including but not limited to lock out/tag out, handling of materials, and operation of hand tools and power tools.
- Scale loose rock and recognize loose or abnormal ground conditions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Grade 10 secondary school or equivalent is required.
College of the North Atlantic (CNA) has partnered with Vale Newfoundland and Labrador to create an alternate pathway for those interested in pursuing a career in the mining industry. Applicants who do not meet the minimum education requirements outlined above may complete a Test of Workplace Essential Skills (TOWES). Please visit https://www.cna.nl.ca for more information on the assessment preparation and offerings.
To be considered for employment, applicants must successfully complete the TOWES assessment prior to submitting their application. The Individual Score Report must be submitted with the application to be considered.
- A minimum of 12 months experience working in an underground mining operation OR 5+ years of industrial construction experience (i.e., civil, structural, piping), preferably in the mining industry.
- Demonstrate a concern for Safety, Health, and Environment.
- Knowledge of safe work practices and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to recognize hazards within an industrial workplace and understands his or her role in assessing and managing risk.
- Strong ability to work cooperatively within a team environment.
- Demonstrate initiative and follow instruction.
What We Offer You
- Competitive Salary and Site Premiums.
- Opportunity to earn an annual Employee Bonus and Underground Mines Incentive.
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans, and optional insurances).
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, sick, top up for maternity/parental).
- Chartered flights within the province.
- 24/7 access to a fully stocked cafeteria with balanced meals prepared by our culinary team.
- Access to recreational facilities and social activities (cardio/weight room, gymnasium, music room, movie theatre, etc.).
- Accommodations are equipped with cable TV, unlimited long-distance calling, and high-speed internet capacity.
- All Personal Protective Equipment is provided upon hire. Employees are given a safety boot allowance and receive a 100% reimbursement for prescription safety glasses.
- Exposure to advanced mining technology and state of the art mechanized underground equipment.
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth.
- Opportunities to grow your career in a large global company, and mining industry leader.
- Online training and career development opportunities.
Include to Transform
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and Vale values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
Interested applicants must submit their application online at https://vale.eightfold.ai/careers. Innu Nation members and Nunatsiavut beneficiaries can also submit their application to their Vale Aboriginal Employment Coordinator.
Deadline to Apply
Sunday, October 1st, 2023.