Truck and Coach Technician (Apprentice) 4 Months
City : Hamilton
Category : Skilled Trades & Maintenance
Industry : Manufacturing
Employer : ArcelorMittal
Requisition ID: 29883
Do you want to work at one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers? We’re looking for people who are driven by excellence to work with innovative technology to create the material tomorrow’s world will be made of.
At ArcelorMittal Dofasco, we play a key role in North America’s advanced manufacturing supply chain working with the top automotive, energy, packaging, and construction brands to develop lighter, stronger and more sustainable steel products – from cans to cars.
We are at the forefront of the steel industry with a plan to change the way we make steel to significantly reduce GHG emissions in the short term, while reaching net zero before 2050. Ours will be the first integrated steelmaking site in the world to make this transformation and it will happen by 2028. Our global company is leading the world with significant decarbonization projects in North America and Europe and our site is key to this plan.
ArcelorMittal Dofasco is Hamilton's largest private sector employer with more than 4,500 employees, shipping 4.5 million net tons of high quality flat carbon steel annually. Our iconic tagline "Our Product is Steel. Our Strength is People." is a true expression of our belief that our people are our competitive advantage.
Material Handling & Logistics Business Unit
Truck & Coach Mechanic (310T) - Apprentice
As a Truck & Coach Mechanic in our Material Handling & Logistics Business Unit, your primary function will be to inspect, repair, replace, install, adjust, and rebuild components of various trucks and truck equipment. Duties will include (but not limited to) the following:
- Perform mechanical maintenance to lift trucks, dempsters, scrap and slab haulers, coil trucks, transporters, locomotives, and other mobile equipment by dismantling, repairing, rebuilding, and installing all component and assembly parts including engines, transmissions, gear boxes, hydraulic systems, wheel assemblies, drive line components, etc.
- Work from sketches, prints and maintenance manuals when assembling or rebuilding
- Perform burning, brazing, and minor welding to maintain and repair all mobile repair equipment
- Perform preventive maintenance on mobile repair equipment. Repair and maintains some shop equipment
- Operate equipment for maintenance test purposes
- Keeps tools and work area in a clean and orderly condition
- Work in remote Mobile Repair Shops and on equipment outside of shop, as required
- Drive mobile equipment for test and placement purposes
- Minimum high school diploma/GED is required
- Valid Ontario Driver’s license is required
- Advanced trouble-shooting and problem-solving skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Basic personal computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Capable of physically demanding work (both indoors and outdoors)
- Self-starter with the ability to follow directions and work in a team environment with minimal supervision.
- Mobile HVAC experience is an asset.
- Tier 4 engine and emission systems experience is an asset.
- Steel industry equipment experience is an asset.
- Heavy industrial environment, requiring 100% of time per week in plant
- Required to wear personal protective equipment
- The use of respirators, fresh air breathing apparatus and standard plant safety equipment may also be required
- Exposure to noise, heights, confined spaces, lighting conditions, materials, products and by-products associated with the manufacture of steel, temperature and weather extremes that require the use of specialized protective devices or equipment
- Required to climb stairs, ladders and scaffolding to access elevations, able to crouch for periods of time, push, pull, lift, and turn while carrying tools, material, and equipment in various parts of the facilities
Hours of Work:
- 4 x 10.5 hour day shift
- Shift schedule length is based on business needs
- Employees may be required to work overtime as required to meet business needs
Total Rewards at ArcelorMittal Dofasco
- We provide employees with a market competitive total compensation package. Our promise is to provide superior pay for superior performance, accompanied by comprehensive health and wellness, pension, vacation and related programs.
- Competitive hourly rates and shift premium
- On your first day you will immediately be eligible for:
Other immediate benefits include:
- Competitive vacation entitlements
- PPE and workwear provided at no cost (if required)
- Wellness and Employee Assistance Programs
- Free access to three onsite fitness centers and our 70-acre recreation park with multiple arenas, fields and organized sports for you and your family
We would like to thank all those who apply in advance since only applicants selected to complete an online assessment will be contacted.
ArcelorMittal Dofasco is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply and we are committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.