Travel and Expenses Officer
City : Ottawa
Category : Temporary Assignment or Contract
Industry : Education
Employer : University of Ottawa
The University of Ottawa—A crossroads of cultures and ideas
The University of Ottawa is home to a dynamic community of over 50,000 students, faculty and staff, who live, work and study in both French and English. Our campus is a crossroad of cultures and ideas, where bold minds come together to inspire game-changing ideas. We believe in the power of representation, and that increasing the diversity of our faculty and staff supports this objective. Our goal is to provide students with the best possible learning experience, in an environment that reflects the diversity of its people, their ideas, and their identities.
We are one of Canada’s top 10 research universities—our professors and researchers explore new approaches to today’s challenges. One of a handful of Canadian universities ranked among the top 200 in the world, we attract exceptional thinkers and welcome diverse perspectives from across the globe. Our employees come together around the shared purpose of constant improvement, personal development, service excellence, teamwork and a passion for learning with a desire to make uOttawa and the world a better place. Everyone's contributions are valued, we all play a part in making uOttawa a world-class institution. Most importantly, we make it possible for you to achieve your full potential. Because at uOttawa, you belong!
*This position may be eligible for a telework arrangement. Learn more about our telework guidelines click here
Reporting to the Manager, Travel & Expenses, responsible for administering one or more Travel and Expenses programs and ensures effective administration of the relevant systems used by eligible client groups in order to favor high user satisfaction.
Acts as a resource person to the university community to provide guidance on compliance, eligibility issues, guidelines, and ensure assistance with the relevant systems/tools.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Administers Travel and Expenses programs including, but not limited to, the Professional Expenses Reimbursement (PER), the Tuition Fee Financial Support program, the Travel and Business Expenses Reimbursements program and acts as backup for the other programs.
- Reviews and approves all claims to ensure eligibility and compliance of expenditures with various university and granting agency policies, collective agreements and procedures before approving for payment.
- Performs financial activities such as data entry, advances, bookkeeping, record keeping, verification and reconciliation to support ongoing financial operations and expense reporting.
- Acts as System Administrator for the configuration of the Travel and Expenses programs systems and tools by identifying and requesting maintenance updates to relevant system structures and configuration requirements.
- Acts as a resource person to the university community regarding compliance and eligibility issues, and provides guidance on corrective action in order to ensure the practical application of written policies and procedures.
What you will bring:
- Knowledge of administration and accounting principles normally acquired through postsecondary studies in a related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Knowledge of funding agency guidelines related to eligibility of expenses would constitute an asset
- Minimum 2 years of demonstrated experience in a similar role
- Experience in reconciliation of financial accounts
- Ability to apply and explain policies and procedures, legislative guidelines (e.g. CRA), insurance contracts and collective agreement.
- Knowledge of, and agility with computer configuration related to user accounts within integrated data systems and data verification processes and programs. Experience with a large-scale computerized integrated system an asset
- Knowledge of computer systems and software including financial systems, spreadsheets, databases, Internet and e-mail
- Experience in interpreting, explaining and applying policies and regulations
- Experience in producing reports
- Ability to produce high quality work under pressure while meeting strict deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Bilingualism – French and English (spoken and written)
Key Competencies at uOttawa:
Here are the required competencies for all or our employees at uOttawa:
Planning: Organize in time a series of actions or events in order to realise an objective or a project. Plan and organize own work and priorities in regular daily activities.
Initiative: Demonstrate creativity and initiative to suggest improvements and encourage positive results. Is proactive and self-starting. Show availability and willingness to go above and beyond whenever it is possible.
Client Service Orientation: Help or serve others to meet their needs. This implies anticipating and identifying the needs of internal and external clients and finding solutions on how to meet them.
Teamwork and Cooperation: Cooperate and work well with other members of the team to reach common goal(s). Accept and give constructive feedback. Able to adjust own behaviour to reach the goals of the team.