City : OTTAWA
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Transportation Planner/Engineer - ( 220001K5 )
We create the connections that get people and goods moving—whether by car, bicycle, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Imagine being part of a dynamic team that designs innovative solutions for our diverse set of clients. Our Transportation Planning and Traffic Engineering (TPTE) group provides comprehensive planning, design, and engineering services. As a transportation engineerplanner, you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of planning and design projects as a team member under the guidance and supervision of a more senior planner or engineer. The ideal candidate will be a problem solver who takes initiative with demonstrated knowledge and experience in engineering and planning projects, basic understanding of regulatory requirements, good overall communication skills including technical writing skills, and demonstrated experience with transportation planning, data analysis and modelling (MS Excel / Access, GIS, modelling software).
Your Key Responsibilities
- Uses knowledge of the general concepts of transportation planning, transportation modelling and traffic engineering.
- Assists with the preparation of proposals and technical reports including traffic impact studies, parking studies, feasibility studies, environmental assessment studies and etc.
- Assists in coordinating with clients, regulatory/resource agencies, and local governments.
- Performs research, obtains traffic and GIS data, makes calculations and conducts transportation related analyses.
- Responsible for assisting in the preparation and coordination of technical activities on assigned projects.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- A working knowledge of transportation planning and traffic engineering.
- Working experience with Synchro and HCS software with knowledge of intersection operational analysis including signalized intersections.
- Experience with transportation modelling packages such as Emme, VISUM, TransCAD, Aimsun or VISSIM would be considered an asset.
- Developing cooperative skills in working efficiently with a team.
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and experience with Access and MS Project.
- Highly motivated and willing to take on new challenges and learn new skills.
- Demonstrated ability to perform individually or as a team member with effective time management skills and able to work on different tasks at the same time.
- Strong analytical and communication skills including both technical writing and oral communication.
- Developing organizational skills and understanding of task assignment and schedule.
- Developing knowledge of provincial and municipal legal requirements, and design/planning procedures in relevant jurisdictions.
- Knowledge of using GIS and AutoCAD.
- Eligibility to register as an EIT with PEO.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Civil engineering or equivalent from an accredited university or urban planning degree with emphasis in Transportation Planning.
Minimum 5 years of experience as a transportation planner working on traffic impact studies, environmental assessment studies or similar tasks.
Typical office environment working with computers. Some travel may be required, such as delivering plans or documents to reviewing agencies or clients or to attend meetings. May visit study areas, construction sites and/or be exposed to outside elements and inclement weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Job : Transportation Engineer
Organization : BC-1636 Transportation-CA Ontario East & Atlantic
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : May 3, 2022, 1:54:37 PM
Req ID: 220001K5
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans