Transmission Line Engineer
City : Calgary
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Transmission Line Engineer - ( 230004XA )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or designing challenging crossing spans over glaciers, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Our transmission line engineering group has an opportunity for a Transmission Line Engineer for our offices at Burnaby (British Columbia), Calgary (Alberta), and Waterloo (Ontario). Hybrid work model to work from home is possible. This opportunity is available to Professional Engineers registered with Canadian Engineering Association in the respective province with minimum 5 years of experience in transmission line industry. You will work on several power line projects with a team of talented transmission line designers, engineers, and subject matter experts in a dynamic, vibrant, and collaborative team environment. You will have the opportunity to learn and grow your career as senior transmission line engineer.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Job requirement will include engineering and design services of power transmission line projects from conceptual design through construction.
- You will prepare engineering and design deliverables for transmission lines including conceptual design, basis and criteria, line layouts, structural configuration, loading analysis, structure design, conductor and overhead ground wire analysis and material selection.
- You will be using PLS-CADD regularly for transmission line modeling, profiling, tower spotting and preparation of required design calculations, reports and drawings including plan & profile drawings, structure data sheets, bill of materials and stringing charts.
- You will model, analyze, design and optimize new or existing transmission structures using PLS-TOWER, PLS-POLE and other FE modeling programs.
- You will perform route alignment and line layout selection and studies.
- You will prepare technical reports, project scope, specifications and line construction documents including Issue for Tender (IFT) and Issue for Construction (IFC) packages.
- You will be providing material quantity and estimates for transmission lines
- You will be providing engineering and technical support and reviews to field crews during construction including site supervision.
- You will participate in site visits and field reviews as needed.
- You will be participating in discussions with clients and contractors and coordinating with various disciplines until successful implementation of project.
- You will mentor and train EITs and junior transmission line designers.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient with PLS-CADD, PLS-POLE, PLS-TOWER.
- Familiar with international and North American transmission line industry standards and guidelines such as IEC, IEEE, ASCE, Cigre, CSA and NESC.
- Experience developing design drawings for variety of transmission structure types
- Knowledge of transmission line materials (structures, conductor, OPGW, insulators, hardware accessories and fittings).
- Sound understanding of project management systems.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and in teams.
- Strong Time-management skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong interest in developing new skills and career advancement.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate project issues with the project team and clients.
- Strong Organizational skills, along with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and demonstrate a flexible approach to work assignments.
- Additional capabilities beneficial for the role:
- Experience designing foundations for a variety of transmission structure types and geotechnical requirements.
- Experience with route selection and studies for overhead transmission lines.
- Experience with thermal upgrading studies.
- Experience using GIS mapping software packages.
- Ability to perform line electrical studies (RI, EMF), interconnection and load flow studies, short circuit analysis, insulation coordination and lightning performance and grounding studies for transmission lines.
- Experience designing HV underground and submarine cables.
- Experience with line condition assessments.
- Knowledge of Canadian utility standards and design practices.
Education and Experience
- Structural, Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university.
- Professional Engineer registered with the Provincial Association with Canadian Engineering Association in the respective province in which in which they are practicing.
- Minimum 5 years of transmission line design and engineering experience within utilities, EPC or consulting organizations.
Typical office environment working with computers; Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. The experience will forever shape your future. #FeelingEnergized
We would like to thank all candidates that apply; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
- $103,500 - $155,200 Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in BC
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-CA West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 6, 2023, 7:34:33 AM
Req ID: 230004XA
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans