City : Sudbury, ON, CA, P3A 1Z6
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
Conductor Training Class - No Experience Required!
Earn $85,000 in your first year working as a qualified conductor. The average conductor earns approximately $107,000 annually, with the ability to make up to $140,000.
This is an exciting opportunity to join CP in an entry level Railroading position, where no previous railroad experience is required. We provide 16 weeks of paid training to become a qualified conductor.
Trainees engaged in the new hire training program will be compensated as follows:
(1) 80% of the job rate upon starting classroom training - $188.23 per day.
(2) 90% of the job rate upon successful completion of the classroom portion, including Part II Exams - $211.76 per day.
(3) Must be open to commute to Mactier/ Sudbury (bunkhouse provided for such assignments)
Other exciting benefits you can expect are a comprehensive Company funded Pension Retirement Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Tuition Reimbursement Program and more! “Visit https://www.cpconductor.rjp.cdglhosting.com/ to take a realistic job preview questionnaire to see if this position would be a good fit for you. Also visit https://youtu.be/xPicGGCzbQA to view a 3.5 minute video on what a CP Conductor career is like, from an employee’s perspective!”
This is a Safety Critical position, which will require pre-employment checks that can take multiple weeks to complete once successfully selected. For transparency in the recruitment process (9-12 weeks), we:
- Collect and gather applicants (2-3 weeks)
- Screen and interview candidates (2-3 weeks)
- Criminal, Drug and Medical Clearances (3-4 weeks)
- Notice period for new hires to current employers (2-3 weeks)
- Req ID: 100724
- Department: Operations Eastern Division
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Union
- Location: Sudbury, Ontario
- Country: Canada
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 06/30/2023
**We are currently collecting resumes for current and future openings in 2023**
To see the if the Conductor position is a good fit for you, please complete this Realist Job Preview prior to applying: https://www.cpconductor.rjp.cdglhosting.com/
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
Are you looking for an exciting career? Becoming a Train Conductor is the perfect career for you! As a Train Conductor you will start your rewarding long term career at CP.
As a Train Conductor you will work as a member of a train crew that will assist with switching cars, making or splitting up trains in yards, or moving cars between yards, sidings or tracks;
- Work in either train or yard service depending on their seniority;
- Carry out specific instructions detailing a train's route and specific movements;
- Handle the switching of cars, including coupling and uncoupling cars, and is able to lift out coupling device;
- Observe, interpret, and relay signals and other indications affecting movement of train;
- Signal crew members for movement of the engine or train using specific signals, or radio to indicate when to start, stop, back-up, set or release air brakes;
- Provide flag protection and relays signals to trains in an emergency situation, as stipulated in the operating rules;
- Move on and off moving or stationary equipment while train is performing industrial, station, or yard switching;
- Ride moving car by hanging onto grab irons or ladder, sometimes for extended periods of time;
- Fill out forms including train orders and switch lists and prepares required clear and legible reports;
- Work irregular hours, including holidays, weekends, days and nights and for periods of time up to 12 hours;
- Must be constantly alert to changing conditions and events and take safe and responsible action as required.
- High School Graduation or General Equivalency Diploma (GED);
- 3 to 5 years’ work experience with a demonstrated safe work record;
Valid full/graduated driver's with no restrictions is required;
- Must be at least 18 years old;
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude;
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision;
- Able to take action and/or make decisions affecting security/well-being of others, i.e. alerting others to unsafe conditions;
- Must have good spatial ability with regard to a sense of layout and space, together with an ability to judge speed and/or distance of moving objects;
- Able to communicate effectively both oral and in written;
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to operate as a contributing member of a team;
- Must be prepared to work weekends and shifts - on call 24 hours/day with 2 Hours’ notice depending on location, (with exception of Annual Vacation);
- Work may require extended time away from home;
- Must be able to pass the required examinations, read and understand safety instructions, books of rules, instructions and regulations, timetables, bulletins, waybills, placards, and other written or printed material;
- Must be prepared to work in adverse weather conditions;
- May be required to lift up to 80 lbs.
- Must be able to cross the United States border for work purposes;
- Must be able to obtain a passport.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
Operating safely is a core foundation of CP. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CP’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety critical position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessment. Pre-employment qualification drug test(s) are also required. This includes candidates participating in the Trainee Program who will also be required to pass a drug test during the training process before receiving final qualification for the position.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Education verification
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").