City : Sudbury, ON, CA, P3A 1Z6
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
CPKC is hiring for January-March 2024.
Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network. Visit cpkcr.com to learn about the CPKC advantage, our purpose and culture.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
No previous railroad experience is required to join CPKC as a conductor. If you are willing to put in an honest, hard day’s work every day you will have unlimited opportunities. Join our team of dedicated railroaders and enjoy a unique and challenging career opportunities.
As a conductor, you may be assigned to a yard or a train. Your responsibilities include: switching cars, making or splitting up trains in yards, or moving cars between yards, sidings or tracks. Conductors keep CPKC and North America's economy moving. This entry-level union position can lead to career growth as a yard foreperson, locomotive engineer or operations management.
Do you have what it takes to be a railroader? Find out, complete the Realistic Job Preview to see if the railroad lifestyle is for you. Visit our YouTube Channel to hear how a current CPKC conductor describes the role.
- Earn $85,000 in your first year working as a qualified conductor
You will receive 16 weeks of paid in-class and field training that’s in a real operations environment. CPKC’s training program sets you up for success by focusing on safety practices, rules and operations. You will earn 80% of the job rate ($188.23 per day) when you start classroom training. Upon successful completion of the classroom portion (including part II exams) you will earn 90% of the job rate ($211.76 per day).
- Work in train or yard service depending on seniority
- Strictly follow and execute work according to operating rules and safety procedures
- Carry out specific instructions detailing a train's route and specific movements
- Coordinate the switching of cars, including coupling and uncoupling cars and lifting out coupling device
- Observe, interpret, and relay signals and other indications affecting movement of train
- Signal crew members for movement of the engine or train using specific signals, or radio to indicate when to start, stop, back-up, set or release air brakes
- Have a thorough understanding of and follow General Code of Operating Rules (GCOR), General Orders and Bulletins as they pertain to the safe movement of trains, goods, and hazardous materials, ensuring the safety of CPKC employees and the general public
- Provide flag protection and relay signals to trains in an emergency situation as stipulated in the operating rules
- Move on and off moving or stationary equipment while train is perforing industrial, station or yard switiching
- Ride moving car by hanging onto grab irons or ladder, sometimes for extended periods of time
- Fill out required forms including: train orders and switch lists and prepares required clear and legible reports
- Maintain first aid qualifications and apply first aid in emergency situations
- Monitor yard operations area and be alert to changing conditions, take safe and responsible action to prevent personal injury and equipment damange
- High school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED)
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Available for call 24 hours per day and respond to the designated work site within two hours of receiving the call
- Work schedules are irregular and are determined by the rotation of the extra board including weekends and holidays
- Perform work for up to 12 hours per shift where you may be traveling away from home and be away for 24-48 hours at a time
- Work outdoors in all types of weather conditions
- Walk long distances on railroad roadbeds
- Ability to lift up to 100lbs on occasion
- Recognize and distinguish between the colors of signals, signs, and other visual displays
- Possess good communication skills and work efficiently with minimum supervision
- At ease working with, on and around heavy equipment that is in motion
- Must be able to pass the required examiniations, read and understand safety instructions, books of rules, instructions and regulations, timetables, bulletins, waybills, placards, and other written or printed material
WHAT CPKC HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
As an employer with North American presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
Operating safely is a core foundation of CPKC. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CPKC’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety critical position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol, and drug audit assessment. Pre-employment qualification drug test(s) are also required. This includes candidates participating in the Trainee Program who will also be required to pass a drug test during the training process before receiving final qualification for the position.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Education verification
- Driver’s License verification
CPKC is an employment equity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC), members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities. Accommodations for the job application process can be provided, as appropriate, upon request. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)”.
- Req ID: 101629
- Department: Operations Pacific Division
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Union
- Location: Sudbury, Ontario
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 90-100%
- # of Positions: 15
- Job Available to: Internal & External