City : Kenora, ON, CA
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
- Req ID: 100730
- Department: Engineering
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Union
- Location: Kenora, Ontario
- Country: Canada
- Job Available to: Internal & External
NEW HIRE TRACK LABORER WILL RECEIVE A $5,000 SIGNING BONUS. CANDIDATES MUST CURRENTLY RESIDE WITHIN 80KM OF KENORA HEADQUARTERS, OR MUST BE WILLING TO RELOCATE.
Must commit to working for CP for one year or the signing bonus will be repayable. Current and previous Canadian Pacific employees are not eligible to receive the signing bonus
Track Laborer - No Railroad Experience Required!
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to eight major ports, including Vancouver and Montreal, providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe.
What CP can offer you:
- 2 weeks paid training to set you up for success as a Railroader!
- Flexible and competitive benefits package, starting from day 1
- Comprehensive Company matched Pension Retirement Plan
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
To maintain the track and surrounding areas using moderate physical labour and technology (automated machinery). We use technology as much as possible to eliminate physical stress on the body. Duties can include replacing and repairing various track components including rails, railway ties, fences and adjusting the alignment and the surface of the track as well as responding to emergencies and track outages.
- Moderate to heavy physical labour on an assigned area of track. This work involves:
- Pulling track spikes,
- Applying rail anchors,
- Shoveling crushed rock,
- Bending & lifting up to 50 lbs on a regular basis,
- Repetitive tasks
- An emphasis on safety is critical for all employees. This can be a high risk environment as you will be working around heavy moving equipment;
- Employees must remain focused at all times and be willing to work in a team environment;
- The work location is outdoors and, therefore, you will be working in all weather conditions (rain, direct sunlight, snow etc);
- This position may require traveling. While travelling, you will receive mileage, hotel accommodations, meal expenses, etc
- Will be required to be away from home (accommodations and meal allowance provided)
- Work can be seasonal and employees may be laid off at the end of the work season. Employees will be called back as needed (and in seniority order) for the next work season.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO SUCCEED:
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Possess a High School diploma or GED;
- A valid driver’s license;
- A safety-oriented work ethic supported by experience within the labour industry;
- The ability to follow instructions and rules and regulations;
- Ability to work as a valuable member of a team;
- Good written and verbal communication/comprehension skills are essential;
This is a Safety Sensitive position, which will require pre-employment checks that can take multiple weeks to complete once successfully selected. For transparency in the recruitment process (9-12 weeks), we:
- Collect and gather applicants (2-3 weeks)
- Screen and interview candidates (2-3 weeks)
- Criminal, Drug and Medical Clearances (3-4 weeks)
- Notice period for new hires to current employers (2-3 weeks)
Operating safely is a core foundation of CP. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CP’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety sensitive position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessment.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Education verification
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").