City : Red Deer, AB, CA
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network. Visit cpkcr.com to learn about the CPKC advantage, our purpose and culture.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
You will be a member of a team performing moderate to heavy physical labour building and maintaining the track and surrounding materials. Duties can include replacing and repairing various track components including rails, railway ties, fences and adjusting the alignment and the surface of the track as well as responding to emergencies and track outages. Please note you will be placed in production or maintenance position based on operational needs.
- Moderate to heavy physical labour on an assigned area of track. This work involves:
- Pulling track spikes,
- Applying rail anchors,
- Shoveling crushed rock,
- Bending & lifting up to 50 lbs on a regular basis,
- Repetitive tasks
- An emphasis on safety is critical for all employees. This can be a high risk environment as you will be working around heavy moving equipment;
- Employees must remain focused at all times and be willing to work in a team environment;
- The work location is outdoors and, therefore, you will be working in all weather conditions (rain, direct sunlight, snow etc);
- This position works shifts; start times are set on a weekly basis and may change daily if required. Daily work shifts can start at any time, night or day;
- Will be required to be away from home and will stay in with meal allowance provided;
- Work can be seasonal and employees may be laid off at the end of the work season. Employees will be called back as needed (and in seniority order) for the next work season.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Possess a High School diploma or GED;
- A valid driver’s license is preferred;
- A valid Class 3 license would be considered an asset;
- A safety-oriented work ethic supported by experience within the labour industry;
- The ability to follow instructions and rules and regulations;
- Ability to work as a valuable member of a team;
- Good written and verbal communication/comprehension skills are essential;
- Must live within 30 kms of Edmonton, AB.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
Operating safely is a core foundation of CP. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CP’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety sensitive position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol, and drug audit assessment. Pre-employment qualification drug test(s) are also required. This includes candidates participating in the Trainee Program who will also be required to pass a drug test during the training process before receiving final qualification for the position.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Education verification
- Driver’s License Verification
CPKC is an employment equity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC), members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities. Accommodations for the job application process can be provided, as appropriate, upon request. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)”.
- Req ID: 100882
- Department: Engineering
- Position Type: Union
- Location: Red Deer, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 90-100%
- Job Available to: Internal & External