Thermal Design Engineer
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
Ciena is seeking a Thermal Design Engineer to join our team, designing and developing optical switching and transport products. You will play a role in defining and developing products from concept through production, working with cross-functional development teams. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills and a strong technical background. This position requires a detailed approach to experimental procedure, analysis and thermal simulation-based design.
The thermal designer role represents a key part of our design team, you will be responsible for ensuring, through analysis and experimentation, that the highly sophisticated electro-optical designs that constitute Ciena's products are thermally viable and kept at temperatures that enable their function and reliability over significant temperature ranges.
Our thermal engineers work in a multifunctional environment, being part of a mechanical design team, and interacting with electrical, optical, software and manufacturing teams, to analyze, design, and develop new products toward production release, and to sustain existing products.
- Recent graduate with a Masters/PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering with a specialization in Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics.
- Experience with ProEngineer CAD and Flotherm CFD modeling software is desirable
- Familiarity with thermal management of electronics with PCB design and layout in consideration, and with complementary knowledge in mechanical design and fabrication.
- Engineering laboratory or field testing experience
- Candidate should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.