LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB)
JOB NUMBER: 31861
Why you should join us:
“We know that the world needs urgent action to reduce our carbon emissions and avoid the worst effects of climate change and we recognize that ‘business as usual’ is not good enough, so we’ve set aggressive, yet achievable goals.” One of our core sustainability goals is to harness technology and innovation to reduce our GHG emission intensity by 30% by 2030.
Our greenhouse gas (GHG) and water technical team is looking for a creative problem-solver to develop new and disruptive technologies for low-GHG emitting electricity, heat, and hydrogen, as aligned with our corporate technology development strategy. In this role, you will collaborate with internal and external parties to develop the business case for initiating, managing and disseminating learnings from technology development projects!
We asked some of our employees why it’s important for Suncor to have a GHG goal. Click here to listen to what they had to say.
You will use your expertise to:
- Assist in developing and preparing business cases for technology development activities in the areas of low-GHG intensity heat, power, and hydrogen
- Support the advancement of technologies as per Suncor’s technology development standard
- Synthesize technical reports documenting the identification, screening and evaluation of technologies
- Influence our external innovation and research community to surface opportunities
- Manage consultants and support and mentor employees with less experience to provide them with learning and development opportunities
- Communicate with senior management and external partners during the execution of technology development activities
- Focus on enterprise-wide technologies and identify deployment opportunities in existing and future assets outside of oil sands
- Manage activities with a collective budget of up to $5 million annually
We’d like to review your application if you have…
Must-haves (minimum requirements):
- Five years of experience in research and/or technology development, especially related to low-GHG intensity heat, power and hydrogen
- Technical experience in low-GHG intensity technology
- A University degree
- A Master’s degree or PhD in Chemical/Process Engineering, Environmental (Chemical) Engineering, or another related discipline
- Knowledge in at least one area of Process Systems Engineering (e.g., process design, integration, optimization)
- A deep understanding of one or more process modelling software tools/environments (e.g., Aspen Plus, Hysys, Matlab, gPROMS)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, such as experience publishing in peer-reviewed journals and presenting research findings at conferences
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, as collaboration with internal and external partners in the development of technology is essential
- The ability to develop creative solutions for complex problems and deal successfully with ambiguity
- Strong, tactful and collaborative non-authoritative leadership skills
- Alignment with our values
- Expertise in the development of novel flowsheets and the design, integration, optimization, and scale-up of industrial processes for CO2 capture
- Experience in generation, distribution, and storage of hydrogen for use as an energy carrier for transportation
- Expertise in design, integration, optimization, and scale-up of electrochemical cells
Where you’ll be working, your work schedule, and other important information:
- You will work out of our Calgary head office, located in the Suncor Energy Centre at 150 – 6th Ave S.W. in Calgary, Alberta
- Hours of work are a regular 40-hour work week, Monday to Friday
- Relocation support will be provided
- NOC code: 2134
- Language of work: English
- Wage: $110,000 - $150,000/year base salary
- Benefits: annual incentive bonus, pension and savings plans, vacation plan, benefits plan, relocation services
We are Canada's leading integrated energy company with a business portfolio that includes oil sands development and upgrading, offshore oil and gas production, petroleum refining, and product marketing under the Petro-Canada brand. Our global presence offers rewarding opportunities for you to learn, contribute, and grow in a variety of career-building positions. We live by the value of safety above all else – do it safely, or don’t do it. Our strong track record of growth and a focus on sustainability mean tremendous potential for the future. Learn about our mission, vision and values.
In addition to rewarding job opportunities, we offer an attractive employee package, including:
- Competitive base salary, compensation programs, and an annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
Stay connected to us:
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request. Check out our social goal to learn how we are working to build greater mutual trust and respect with the Indigenous Peoples in Canada.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so don't delay, apply now.
JOB CATEGORY: Business Professionals