City : Markham
Category : Facilities Mgmt. MK
Industry : Education
Employer : Seneca
Under the direction of the Campus Facilities Manager, the incumbent supports internal customers by performing a variety of tasks related to the operation, maintenance, and installation of heating, cooling, ventilation, refrigeration, exhaust, humidification, and control systems.
Planning and Organizing
- Plans and organizes diagnostics, preventive maintenance, troubleshooting, repair, and installation work on Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems and/or equipment specific to:
o Cooling systems
o Condensing water systems
o Heating systems
o Hot water systems
o Radiant and forced air systems
o Ducting and distribution associated with the above systems
- Inspects and performs preventive maintenance on:
o Centrifugal chillers and associated cooling towers, pumps and valves
o Enclosed air handling units, varied sized roof mounted HVAC units
o Gas fired, standalone heaters
o Gas fired and electric humidifiers
o Refrigeration units
o Pumps and Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs)
o Implement continuous improvement initiatives on HVAC and
o Refrigeration systems
- Co-ordinate and oversee contracted trades as occasionally required.
Monitoring & Reporting
- Addresses and troubleshoots faults and alarms.
- Utilizes BAS data to propose and implement energy conservation initiatives.
- Participates in energy conservation initiatives that look at improving the system. efficiency, reduce operating cost and optimize system settings.
- Maintains inventory control, order parts, and system logs.
- Timely completion and closing of work orders in CMMS.
- Performs other related duties as assigned, including minor duties of other trades where certification is not required and where work does not exceed the incumbent’s own limitations.
- Ontario Ministry of Skills and Development certificate of qualifications as a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic (License 313A)
- Current and valid Gas Technician G1 Certification
- Current and valid ODP Certification
- Completion of an associated four (4) year apprenticeship.
- 4th Class Operating Engineer Certificate is an asset.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in HVAC installation.
- A minimum of five (5) years post-qualification experience in HVAC repair and maintenance.
- Experienced in commercial or institutional settings with mechanical and HVAC systems.
- Valid class G driver’s license is required. ( potential travel to other campuses.)
- Basic computer literacy is required.
- Experience with various building management control systems including pneumatic and direct digital control (DDC)
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot and interpret problems for a large variety of equipment.
- Ability to follow wiring schematic associated with a variety of types and makes of equipment.
- Ability to recognize and act on safety hazards.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to read and interpret architectural, mechanical and electrical/controls engineering drawings.
- Knowledge in the operation and maintenance of steam-supplied HVAC systems.
Note: A skills assessment test will be administered during the recruitment process.
A combination of relevant experience and education may be considered as equivalent to the above requirements in the event that there are no internal applicants that meet the qualifications as posted. Equivalency will be assessed by the talent acquisition team.