Technical Writer Intern (Sept – 8 month)
City : Markham
Category : Other
Industry : Technology/Computer Services
Employer : IBM
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Role and Responsibilities
This position resides in Markham or Ottawa, ON and is a 8 month work term commencing in Sept 2023. It is mandatory that all applicants are enrolled in full-time studies at a post-secondary institution and returning to full-time studies upon completion of the work-term.
The IBM Technology Zone team is seeking a Technical Writer intern.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Create high-quality technical documentation in the form of Runbooks for IBM Technology support team and website users: learn the offering, create draft content, drive content creation & reviews with experts, and work with the GitHub publication system.
- Create and edit FAQs for the IBM Technology Zone major focus areas: portal, infrastructure, content, and metrics which feeds the ‘TZ’ virtual assistant
- Manage release announcements, events, site banner and notifications, as well as team communications and events
- Conduct research on specific tools that will help with automating manual processes, and work with the offering management and design team to document and make the offering easy to consume
- Collaborate with the team to ensure consistency and quality: the ability to identify and discuss content structures and writing practices, use of style-validation tools, content testing, and debugging
- Work independently within a team: estimate individual workload, prioritize work, align deliverables with release schedules.
Who You Are:
- A team player who is self-directed and can also work independently with minimal supervision, focusing on the right information being delivered to the right set of stakeholders at the right times
- Have a passion for innovative ideas, coupled with the ability to understand technical concepts and assimilate different points of view
- Are extremely organized, with the ability to manage multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Have knowledge of standard authoring languages, build and publication tools (MKDocs, Markdown, HTML, GitHub)
- Are familiar with software development practices: agile development, defect-tracking systems, source control.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experience writing, curating, and editing content for accuracy, clarity, and usability for a technical audience
- Ability to document detailed technical content
- Ability to perform and use independent research
- Able to define and apply consistent voice and tone throughout the content journey
- Like to solve challenging problems and think of new ways to deliver better output to our consumers
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite – PPT and Excel most specifically
- Knowledge of agile, squad-based, continuous delivery development model.
- Must be eligible to work 8 months starting in September
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Writing, English, Journalism, Communication, Information Design, or related field, or a technical degree
- Registered in a formal co-op/internship program
About Business UnitIBM has a global presence, operating in more than 175 countries with a broad-based geographic distribution of revenue. The company’s Global Markets organization is a strategic sales business unit that manages IBM’s global footprint, working closely with dedicated country-based operating units to serve clients locally. These country teams have client relationship managers who lead integrated teams of consultants, solution specialists and delivery professionals to enable clients’ growth and innovation. By complementing local expertise with global experience and digital capabilities, IBM builds deep and broad-based client relationships. This local management focus fosters speed in supporting clients, addressing new markets and making investments in emerging opportunities. Additionally, the Global Markets organization serves clients with expertise in their industry as well as through the products and services that IBM and partners supply. IBM is also expanding its reach to new and existing clients through digital marketplaces.
Your Life @ IBMIn a world where technology never stands still, we understand that, dedication to our clients success, innovation that matters, and trust and personal responsibility in all our relationships, lives in what we do as IBMers as we strive to be the catalyst that makes the world work better.
Being an IBMer means you’ll be able to learn and develop yourself and your career, you’ll be encouraged to be courageous and experiment everyday, all whilst having continuous trust and support in an environment where everyone can thrive whatever their personal or professional background.
Our IBMers are growth minded, always staying curious, open to feedback and learning new information and skills to constantly transform themselves and our company. They are trusted to provide on-going feedback to help other IBMers grow, as well as collaborate with colleagues keeping in mind a team focused approach to include different perspectives to drive exceptional outcomes for our customers. The courage our IBMers have to make critical decisions everyday is essential to IBM becoming the catalyst for progress, always embracing challenges with resources they have to hand, a can-do attitude and always striving for an outcome focused approach within everything that they do.
Are you ready to be an IBMer?
About IBMIBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business. At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
Location StatementMust have the ability to work in Canada without sponsorship.
This role will involve working with technology that is covered by Export Regulations sanctions. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following US sanctioned countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and the Crimea, Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson, and Zaporizhia regions of Ukraine) on a work permit, you are not eligible for employment in this position.
Being You @ IBMIBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.