Technical Data Analyst
City : Calgary, AB, CA, T2C 4X9
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
- Department: Information Services
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 0-10%
- # of Positions: 2
- Job Available to: Internal & External
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Specialist Business Systems – Technical Data Analyst (TDA) will join the Business Intelligence and Data Analytics team. The team is responsible for building and supporting – reporting and data warehouse related solutions. This data comprises of real-time sensor data, transactional data, master data, and aggregated data.
The DA will work with our business analysts, business partners, architects and developers to understand the requirements; help build and support data related solutions that align with the overall company strategic goals.
- Understand how data could and will be used for modelling and reporting.
- Innovate new ways of managing, transforming, and validating data.
- Create new data sources and clean existing data sources.
- Help standardize and automate reporting.
- Build tools and processes to improve data governance.
- Develop an understanding of existing business Intelligence solutions.
- Develop and deliver presentations positioning content and objectives appropriately.
- Act as a liaison between technical and business architecture.
- Build and manage stakeholder relationships, effective communication plan and manage conflicting priorities.
- Analyze information to establish recommendations for improvements and ways to implement the change to provide business effectiveness and efficiency.
- Must possess a University Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or an equivalent experience.
- Proven expertise in Data Analysis.
- Experience on working with databases and SQL.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong skills in data management, data mining, data visualization, and process development.
- An ability to effectively tell a story through data and clearly communicate findings for a non-technical audience.
- Familiarity with data flows and ETL processes.
- Deep data / preparation of data experience
- An ability to work independently and develop an approach/plan based on work assigned in terms of objectives, relative priorities and critical areas of focus.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Hybrid working arrangements
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").