System & Solution Engineer
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
Requirements for networks are constantly evolving, and Ciena solutions also need to advance and scale to meet the needs of our customers while also delivering uniform and consistent user experiences. We’re looking for a highly motivated and talented packet transport engineer, who is passionate about delivering leading edge packet transport networking solutions, to join the Solutions Engineering & Introduction team. In this hands-on customer facing technical role, you will work directly with Product Engineering, Product Management, Sales Engineering, Customer account teams, and Customer Organizations in bringing new Ciena features, products, and solutions to market. You will introduce and prove the viability of networking features and solutions, which includes service conformance, interoperability, resiliency, performance, scalability, and security. You will be responsible to define and develop Product and Solutions Engineering and Performance guidelines, perform customer demonstrations of Ciena products and solutions, support Customer Proof of Concept and Certification trials, develop and test Product Interoperability scenarios, and support and transfer knowledge to our services and sales engineers as a subject matter expert.
What will you do at Ciena?
Serve as Technical Prime to support key customer engagements which include trials, demonstrations or certifications of Ciena products in a larger multi-vendor solution context. Complete test execution either in Customer labs, in the field, or at local premise. In the process, capture any product issues and feed into product designengineering for resolution. Capture any customer requests for incremental capabilities that could potentially be rolled into upcoming releases.
- Deliver Product and Solutions Engineering and Integration collaterals as part of new product hardware and software releases. This typically includes development of items such as Product and Solutions Engineering Guidelines, Sales Engineering and Customer Introduction packages, Test Plans and Test Execution related to Key Customer configurations, Definition of Performance metrics, development of Solution configuration practices and other key items required by our customers, account teams and sales engineers.
- Formally transfer knowledge gained from pre-production research, testing and trials to internal or external audiences to enable the sale of new technologies, services and solutions.
- Develop, incubate, and test networking solutions and applications in the lab to assess solution compliance to required use cases, performance, scalability and security.
- Support the Global Account/sales engineering community with pre-sales and post-sales activities that include customer bid (RFP/RFI) technical support, market readiness (new product introduction) support, technical consultation, solution evaluation and design, and other engineering network design consulting.
- Embrace the ‘feedback loop’ by engaging with various engineering teams to transform external findings and feedback into new services or tools.
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- Customer focus – what’s important to the customer is important to you; you make getting things done a priority.
- Relationship Builder – you’re able to build trusted relationships quickly, allowing you to influence, mentor and collaborate.
- Initiative – You’re a self-starter who works with limited direction and is committed to delivering against aggressive deadlines.
- Agility – you are readily able to manage competing and ever-changing priorities and maintain a balanced and methodical approach to problem solving. You are able to deliver where products are pre-production and some requirements may be ambiguous.
- Communication expertise – Confident and effective communication and presentation skills, maintaining a high level of composure with people in all levels of cross-functional organizations within Ciena, our customers and with our partners, sometimes in the face of significant challenge or ambiguity.
- The flexibility to work independently and as part of a broader team – you thrive in a team environment, but are comfortable working independently as required.
- Problem solver – you possess the ability to troubleshoot and identify solutions to complex problems.
- A commitment to learning – standards documents, industry documents, and the lab are your best teachers…you keep abreast of emerging technologies and related industry communities such as: IETF, ITU-T, IEEE, and solutions such as Universal Aggregation, Broadband, 5G Automation, Converged xHaul, TDM over Packet, Converged Interconnect Networks.
The Must Haves:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology degree with 5-7 years of experience in the telecommunication industry with a focus on packet transport.
- Expertise in Ethernet and IP networks: network design, routing protocols, L2/L3, MEF, and network security - in particular both standards based theory and configurationprovisioning of Carrier Ethernet, IPv4, IPv6, OSPF, ISIS, BGP, Segment Routing (incl latest SR-TE and SRv6 technologies), MPLS, Virtual Private Networks.
- Implementation and Integration experience in one or more of the following solutions: broadband access (GPON/XGS-PON), TDM over Packet, Converged xHaul, 5G Automation, Universal Aggregation, Core Routing and Switching.
- Demonstrated experience with network testing methodologies including test set usage and automation: Ixia or Spirent, Viavi, Wireshark.
- Good hands on familiarity with the operation of major Operating systems including Linux, Windows and MacOS.
- Willingness to learn and work hands on with a wide variety of networking technologies, often at a pre-production level of product quality - products of Ciena and products of other vendors.
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing and validating test plans or method of procedure.
- Demonstrated aptitude for executing solution level test cases and documenting and communicating results in a comprehensive matter.
- Willingness to engage with customer organizations directly by collaboration technologies and by travel to the customer premise wherever and whenever required.
- As this role has a high level of lab work, you must be based in Ottawa, Ontario, to have access to the state-of-the-art labs.
- Subject matter expert in a recent routing and switching product offering from one or more large networking vendors such as Ciena, Cisco, Nokia, Juniper.
- Knowledge of network synchronization over packet technologies (Synchronous Ethernet, IEEE 1588v2, ITU-T Timing Profiles…), test sets, and engineering.
- Knowledge of telecommunications technologies including DWDM, OTN, TDM, PON ,5G, xhaul, TDM over Packet transport.
- Certification or detailed knowledge of product and network security technologies and practices.
- Knowledge of Network Functions Virtualization and experience working with and orchestrating VNFs.
- Knowledge of Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, Helm.
- Ciena MCP background
- Familiarization with hypervisor technologies and software for building and managing virtualized services: OpenStack, VMWare, KVM, Linux, RedHat, and public clouds.
- Rest API, automation, and scripting skills including: Ansible, Gitlab CI, JSON, TOSCA, and Python.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.