System Operator (Future Talent Pool)
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR (IESO)
|Markets & Reliability
Why join us?
You’ve got great skills. And you want to use them in an organization where you know what you do every day matters. We get that.
We also know that ensuring Ontarians have access to affordable and reliable power doesn’t happen by accident. So we give you the tools, flexibility and support you need to achieve your goals, and development opportunities to help you grow. You’ll thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment that values your unique skills and experiences – and recognizes that when you do better, we become even better too.
Who we are
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the centre of the province’s power system, ensuring Ontarians have access to reliable and cost-effective electricity when and where they need it. We operate the province’s electricity grid 24/7, design, run and oversee the wholesale electricity markets, and plan and prepare to meet Ontario’s electricity needs – now and into the future.
As a member of the Control Room Operations Team, the System Operator helps fulfill the IESO’s roles as Reliability Coordinator, Transmission Operator and Balancing Authority for the province of Ontario by administering the IESO Controlled Grid (“ICG”) and the IESO Administered Markets (“IAM”) on a minute-to-minute basis ensuring a reliable, competitively-priced and sustainable electricity supply for the province:
- through intense and timely analysis, investigation and execution of control actions;
- in compliance with NERC reliability standards and NPCC criteria;
- within the Market Rules and relevant Regulations;
- through collaborative work with other Operations Team members; and
- under the general direction of the Shift Superintendent.
What you'll be doing
The System Operator works collaboratively with other Operations Team members to execute the minute-to-minute administration of the IESO Controlled Grid (“ICG”) and the IESO Administered Market (“IAM”) to ensure a reliable, competitively priced and sustainable electricity supply for the province and help fulfill the IESO’s roles of Reliability Coordinator, Transmission Operator and Balancing Authority for the province of Ontario.
The System Operator:
- monitors/identifies potential compliance issues and surveillance activities within the IESO;
- maintains the daily log ensuring all relevant information is documented and correct;
- performs other duties comparable in scope and complexity to the Key Responsibilities listed here as required; and
- executes specific duties and responsibilities related to the following functions:
- IESO Administered Markets;
- IESO Controlled Grid;
- System for Markets;
- Contingency Operation and System Restoration;
- Outage Plan;
- Tool Set;
- Coaching, Mentoring and Training;
- Off-Shift Assignments.
What you need to succeed
- Requires a strong knowledge of electrical theory, power system design, operation and control, associated mathematics and computer applications to undertake system control and management of the IMO-controlled grid.
- Requires analytical and marketing skills, knowledge of technical writing to prepare reports, and oral and written fluency for effective communication.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through post-graduate education beyond secondary school plus further extensive theoretical study of subjects pertinent to the electrical discipline and the specialty area of the work function.
- The job also requires being NERC-certified.
- Requires experience to acquire a full understanding of the Interconnected Power System Operations, of NERC, and NPCC guidelines; of Agreements; of Market Participant equipment capabilities, and technical Directives; of the Market Rules; of Market Participants; of the Facilities Description Documents, of Market Manuals and Market Procedures; of pertinent Station Data, and of all EMS-related software programs.
- Requires experience with analytical studies and the application of PC operations including program management and organization of files and directories and various software.
- A period of over 6 years and up to and including 8 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- An incumbent that does not meet the qualifiecations may be considered at a lower graded position
Note regarding mental pressure
There is frequent and sustained mental pressure associated with the technical nature and sustained concentration associated with the position. Considerable mental pressure is tied to the decision-making authority relative to the minute-to-minute operation of the electricity delivery system on a 24/7/365 schedule (shift position).
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2023 Employers, and what we offer.