SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST (PowerBuilder Developer) (Toronto, ON, CA, M5V 3C6)
City : Toronto
Category : Information & Technology
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Toronto
Job ID: 32910
- Job Category: Information & Technology
- Division & Section: Technology Services, Technology Services Delivery
- Work Location: 100 Queen St W.
- Job Type & Duration: Temporary, Full Time (12 months)
- Hourly Rate and Wage Grade: $50.18 - $54.97, TFS203, Wage grade 16
- Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Affiliation: L79 Full-time
- Number of Positions Open: 1
- Posting Period: 16-Mar-2023 to 30-Mar-2023
In this role you will provide advice and integration services related to Project & Work Package
Management; Feasibility & Business Case; Business Requirements, Analysis & Design; Programming & Testing; Training & Documentation; Implementation & Rollout and, maintenance/enhancements.
- Performs analysis and design duties as well as programming, modelling and scripting, testing, documentation and deployment preparation.
- Coordinates and prepares needs analysis and detailed systems design.
- Conducts user interviews to determine detailed systems requirements.
- Completes preliminary analysis, system and functional design, workflow diagrams for quality systems development.
- Designs, codes, tests, implements and maintains enterprise systems.
- Designs and develops systems that comply with access and privacy legislation.
- Coordinates and develops program specifications and documentation.
- Designs and conducts all levels of testing i.e. unit, system, integration, regression, performance, security, usability, optimization/configuration and coordinates user acceptance testing.
- Liaises and coordinates with internal and external consultants in detailed systems deliverables and technical problem resolution.
- Implements enterprise in-house developed/custom/packaged systems and systems changes.
- Tests integrated systems to ensure system compatibility and proper functional integration. Provides application maintenance and enhancement including implementation of vendor systems fixes and patches.
- Conducts quality assurance on departmental and external developments.
- Develops systems interfaces between enterprise and departmental systems.
- Performs information and application data conversions.
- Provides development support to users by providing technical assistance and troubleshooting.
- Provides documentation and instruction/training to users of the system.
- Designs and develops application security interfaces to enable clients in controlling and administering access to their systems.
- Provides expertise, advice and technical skills for information and application service delivery.
- Conducts research and evaluation of hardware/software/framework and makes recommendations. Recommends, presents and demonstrates system solutions to City management and corporate business clients.
- Conducts presentations, system demonstrations and system walk-throughs at project review meetings.
- Participates as a team member in the execution of project plans providing technical expertise and advice re: architecture, development tools, work effort estimates.
- Directs the activities of staff, mentors, and recommends training.
- Contributes to project charters, statements of work and project plans, project status reports and variance explanations, risk identification and mitigation planning.
- Conducts research, investigates and recommends best practices for information and application services.
- Contributes to post-implementation project reviews.
- Recommends improvements to current methodologies, processes, standards, policies and guidelines.
- Contributes in planning of future system growth and provides detailed work plans.
- Participates in enterprise projects.
- Conducts feasibility studies, business cases, RFI/P/Q’s, technical reports by researching and participating in evaluations and recommending solutions. Determines user training needs.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in Computer science or a related discipline, or the approved equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Extensive experience in application design and computer programming using PowerBuilder.
- Considerable experience in database administration and development for multiple environments (development, test and production databases), including writing scripts for data conversion, creating DDL scripts for database objects using Oracle 19c, PL/SQL, SQL.
- Experience with service requests and technologies: JIRA, and AMANDA.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of Crystal Reports, and Microsoft VBA Macro Programming is an asset.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies and understanding of secured wireless networks and remote access, authentication and authorization principles.
- Proven technical skills to develop and maintain high performance integrated solution to meet complex application requirements.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, listening and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Understanding of application deployment approaches, and standard dev-QA-Production cycles.
- Understanding of security components for web-based applications.
- Understanding of privacy, security and auditing; how these can be reviewed, monitored, and enhanced with regards to systems implementation.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work with competing demands and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively with a group of multidisciplinary staff in a project team setting.
- Ability to work day, afternoon and nights, including weekends as required.
- Ability to travel within the City of Toronto as required.
NOTE TO INTERNAL FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME CITY OF TORONTO EMPLOYEES:
City of Toronto employees must apply to full-time or part-time employment opportunities posted on the City's Internal Job Posting Portal.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.