SVT/PV Engineer 2
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
We are actively seeking experienced, driven, and talented professionals to play a vital role in advancing our automation-focused test strategies for system-level validation of innovative optical networking solutions. Our solutions are based on cutting-edge innovative technologies aimed at meeting the performance, scalability, reliability, and feature requirements of our diverse global customer base, including Telecom service providers and content providers.
- Evaluate system requirements & functional specifications and develop comprehensive solution test plans to validate customer use-cases and product capabilities.
- Actively develop automation scripts using the Automation Framework to validate customer use case scenarios and workflows, continue to evolve the capabilities of already developed automation scripts, and drive the evolution/improvement of the Automation framework.
- Execute system level tests for network elements using fully automated, semi-automated and manual test methods, providing coverage across all North Bound user interfaces such as CLI, Netconf, Rest, gRPC etc. as well as Network Management Systems.
- Analyze test results, log defect reports, reproduction and debugging of issues, work with designers to troubleshoot, and retest defect resolution.
- Conduct and participate in peer reviews for Test plans documents and Automation Scripts.
- Plan and build test lab environments for solution-level test execution.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to junior team members and conduct knowledge sharing sessions on moderate to complex topics.
- Strong customer focus and a firm commitment to product excellence and quality.
- Ability to understand customers’ needs, expectations, and perspectives, particularly in relation to Optical Network Designs of Telecom Service Providers and Global Content Provider Networks.
- Solid knowledge of Optical Networking Technologies- DWDM, OTN Transport, Switching, Optical Control Plane
- High proficiency in Test Automation of network devices with the ability to write effective automation scripts using Python, automation frameworks, git-based source code control systems, Jenkins, and containerized virtual test environments.
- Experience with model-based Network management protocols (open-config) and interfaces (gRPC, Netconf, Rest, SNMP, CLII
- Experience with traffic generation tools/techniques (Ixia, Viavi), networking technologies
- Experience in test effort estimation, test case planning, and test lab resource planning based on product requirements.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate in a global multisite team environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Optical Communications.
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in system testing within the optical networking domain
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.