Job ID: 12797
Job Category: Buildings, Property Operations & Real Estate
Division & Section: Corporate Real Estate Management, FM Civic Buildings
Work Location: Union Station, 61 Front Street and Various Other Locations
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, 2 Permanent and 1 Temporary (12 Month) Vacancies
Salary: $88,979.80 - $104,540.80
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 Hours Per Week
Affiliation: Non-Union Management
Number of Positions Open: 3
Posting Period: 13-Jan-2021 to 27-Jan-2021
Comprised of a team of diverse and dynamic facility management professionals, the City of Toronto's Corporate Real Estate Management Division is striving towards becoming a leader within the Facility Management industry. With a business goal of evolving into a first-class full-service Corporate Real Estate Division that provides proactive customer service, we are looking to implement and deliver best in class Facility Management services though our new service delivery model, One FM. One FM focuses on championing best practices, and delivering optimum value add services through continuously improving internal processes, and standards with industry best practices all in the pursuit of service excellence.
Our people are at the heart of our transformation into a strategically aligned operational structure equipped to serve customer needs today and into the future. We are emerging as a business leader and the place to be for enthusiastic, innovative and talented industry professionals. If you are adaptable to change, committed to continuous personal development and keeping on top of emerging technologies and trends and best practices, this is where you want to be.
Reporting to the Manager, Facilities Management, the Supervisor, Facilities Management is responsible to oversee all cleaning and maintenance routines of an assigned portfolio all in accordance with Maintenance Standards, Legislative Acts and Regulations. This position contributes to establishing and implementing divisional policies and procedures as well as resolving specific operational issues in accordance with industry best practices.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, accountability, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises and schedules activities of both contracted and in house services ensuring efficiencies (including Trades, electrical, custodial, HVAC and Pest Control)
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary
- Responsible for ensuring facility uptime objectives are met. Ensuring the continued safe and reliable operations, cleaning and maintenance of the portfolio of facilities managed
- Oversees the Preventative Maintenance Program for general repairs and/or replacement of equipment and systems to ensure uninterrupted service delivery to City facilities as well as all ensuring timely work order management in line with meeting KPI's.
- Provides 24/7 coverage for onsite response to emergencies and responsible for providing real time communication updates as required.
- Administers the supervision, planning, direction, evaluation and implementation of program specific requirements plans and recommends policies/procedures which align with best practices.
- Responsible for ensuring all regulatory and compliance obligations are met.
- In consultation with stakeholders, develops, implements and monitors the Preventative Maintenance Program on all building systems utilizing in-house and contracted services. Schedules and assigns staff in the utilization and maintenance of all computerized Building Automation and work order Systems.
- Audits and tracks life cycle of building equipment for replacement. Updates the CMMS system and PM plans as required to allow tracking of life cycle of building equipment for replacement.
- Ensures the installation, repair and safe operation of all heating, cooling, plumbing, electrical, life safety and architectural/structural system
- Continuously seeks ways to gain greater efficiencies through activities such as recommending and implementing industry best practices, collaborating with internal teams to implement sustainable practices and improvement initiatives,
- Re-engineer existing operational practices to leverage new, processes, relationships, and best practices to ensure service delivery is high efficient and effective.
- Pro-actively communicates with management and stakeholders providing input and administering assigned operating and capital budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations. Developing solutions with a strong consideration of factors such as cost, budget, environment and timelines.
- Ensures that unit activities are in compliance with applicable codes, departmental standards, City Bylaws and that all facilities legislative requirements are met and all related documentations are created and maintained
- Ensures staff are trained in Health and Safety, City Policies and for specific work requirements in the unit.
- Expedites client work and ensures superior client satisfaction is met by providing timely cost effective delivery of services and in line with industry best practices.
- Ensures compliance with standards and regulations of the Operating Engineers Act and related codes/regulations (TSSA, ESA, OSHA, building codes etc.).
- Collaborates with other sections to ensure all room set ups, deliveries, waste management, recycling activities and grounds maintenance are performed in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Participates as a member of a Building Steering Committee responsible for developing strategies to support the long term sustainability of the facility.
- Supervises asbestos management programs and other OH&S programs related to designated substances.
- Works with staff of the Project Management Office to ensure capital plans are prioritized to maintain facilities in a state of good repair.
- Conducts site visits and quality assurance audit inspections with contractors.
- Responsible for payment approvals for work done by contractors.
- Participates in the identification of major capital projects. Assists Project Managers in project delivery and coordination within the Unit.
- Ensures compliance with safety matters under Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Supports and implements Divisional and Corporate procurement policies and procedures.
- Post-secondary education or possession of a trade license relevant to the role or related to the responsibilities or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience in the management of 24/7 operations and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, and control systems in a critical environment facility ensuring the highest level of efficiency without disruption to the business.
- Considerable experience in leading, coaching, training, mentoring unionized staff, while providing work direction and holding people accountable. Fostering collaboration and promoting energy and enthusiasm to maximize productivity.
- Considerable experience in planning, scheduling and coordinating work activities of staff and contracted professionals.
- Considerable experience and understanding of Plumbing, Mechanical/ Electrical systems, HVAC, Fire and Life Safety and Building Automation systems.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and managing operating based budgets.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License and the ability to obtain a City driver's permit.
- Comprehensive knowledge of common building operational policies and various related Acts/codes/standards, e.g. the electrical code, plumbing code, TSSA, Fire Code, Building Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Construction Lien Act and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act.
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing preventative maintenance plans.
- Able pro-actively communicate, plan and organize work with minimum direction.
- Effective decision maker with a track record demonstrating innovation, problem solving and conflict resolution skills, promoting organizational performance and continuous improvement and the ability to promote and foster teamwork.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook) and SAP (including CMMS), and possess strong written, verbal and people skills.
- Ability to create briefing notes and other documents and client communication as required for effective communication.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in ambiguous, changing and non-standard environments.
- May be required to work on call evenings and weekends as required to support operational requirements.
- Possession of RPA or FMP qualifications considered an asset.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.