City : Calgary
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Substation Designer - ( 230003VA )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company but have the agility of a specialized power group. We work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Our Edmonton office is looking to fill the role of a Power System Designer Drafter. Reporting to the Substation Engineer, this position offers you the opportunity to work in a project team environment with other engineers and designers involved in the detailed electrical design and project management of high voltage substation and power projects.
The successful candidate will be working in the areas of power distribution and air & gas insulated substation engineering & design from the 5kV to 500kV levels. The candidate should be interested in developing an understanding of substation components, substation layout and related electrical studies (clearance, grounding, isolation etc.), rigid bus design, work planning, coordination, reporting, cost estimating. The successful candidate will have an interest in developing installation details.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing engineering drawings of HV substation physical engineering design and details
- Prepare reports that present technical and project information in a clear and concise manner and meet client requirements
- Preparation of Electrical Physical design packages consisting of One-line, Site Plan, Electrical Plan & Sections, Grounding Plan & Details, Conduit Plan & Details, Control House Plan, Control House Grounding Plan & Details, Lighting Plan, Lightning Protection Plan and Bill of material (BOM)
- Coordinate with designers and engineers of other disciplines to complete deliverables
- Interpret and incorporate vendor information into design deliverables
- Perform QA/QC of electrical engineering design packages
- Provide regular progress updates related to deliverables on project
- Growing knowledge of substation equipment engineering
- Development of Project Estimates
- Interfacing directly with clients and directing work for a team
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong safety mindset
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and develop strong client relationships
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Able to demonstrate solid technical understanding in writing and verbally
- Ability to visualize and evaluate equipment details, phase-to-ground, phase-to-phase clearances, and drawing relationships
- Growing understanding of substation grounding, lightning protection, and illumination studies (strongly preferred)
- Growing level knowledge of industry specifications for high voltage electrical equipment
- Ability to manage and deliver Physical Engineering deliverables as per project schedule and within budget
- Ability to work closely with Drafters, Engineers and Leads to meet with project timelines for engineering deliverables
- Ability to understand client specific requirements (standards & specifications) and applicable codes & regulations for preparing physical electrical packages
- Travel may be required but is not anticipated to be more often than 5 days per month
Education and Experience
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology or related field with 3 years experience
- Mature writing skills, able to communicate complex technical concepts in emails and reports
- Proficient with AutoCad and the associated skills of drawing development, scaling details to geographical layouts and observing correct application of coordinate systems, drawing layers etc.
- Proficient with standard office software such as MS Excel, MS Word, Adobe Acrobat
- Experience with MicroStation or other drafting software is an asset
- Operating knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code and other relevant design standards.
- Experience with 3D software is considered an asset
- Ability to attend site visits and capture all technical data needed for estimates and execution of related substation expansions
- Experience in developing drawing packages, specifications and construction work packages
Typical office environment working with computers; Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.The experience will forever shape your future. #FeelingEnergized
We would like to thank all candidates that apply; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby, Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-CA West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Sep 22, 2023, 5:21:37 AM
Req ID: 230003VA
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans