Student Services Representative – Temporary Part Time (June 2022 – May 2023)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Temporary Part-time: June 2022 - May 2023
Hours: Up to 24 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Pay Band: 14B
Rate of Pay: $24.63
Posting Date: May 19th, 2022
Closing Date: May 26th, 2022 at 7:00 pm EST
Reporting to the Manager, Service Integration this position provides extensive customer service support for a diverse clientele including post-secondary, continuing education, apprenticeship and international students, as well as faculty and prospective applicants, through both the Service Counter and the Contact Centre.
The Student Services Representative (SSR) will be working in a fast-paced office/College environment and will be receiving and placing telephone calls, while at the Contact Centre; and assisting students, staff and visitors with troubleshooting, registration, financial assistance, general info and data entry, while at the Service Counter.
It is the responsibility of the incumbent to maintain solid customer relationships by handling their questions and concerns promptly, courteously, and professionally. Specific duties include provision of a range of registration duties and related academic program support functions including financial assistance and awards, imparting general information about college post-secondary and continuing education programs and admission requirements, general college information and other assigned duties that contribute to effective department or campus operations. The duties associated with this position may involve exposure to confidential student records and information.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Based on Mohawk College’s Advising Model, the scope of practice for Student Services Representatives is defined primarily by ‘informational’ advising however ‘explanatory’ advising is also well within the scope of practice for Student Services Representatives as well. More in-depth explanatory and developmental work should be referred to the appropriate Coach, Advisors or Counsellors. The incumbent will:
- Serve as a key point of contact with the general public, students, faculty and staff through e-mail, telephone, faxes, regular mail, and in-person, responding to a wide range of inquiries concerning College programs, procedures and general information, making appropriate and timely referrals to other areas of the College.
- Provide a range of Registration, Admissions, Financial Assistance and International services specific to and appropriate for post-secondary, continuing education, and apprenticeship programs.
- Accepts and processes payments for tuition fees and/or ancillary services. Completes Banner reports daily, reconciles cash and prepares deposits for accounting department.
- Completes a range of processing duties such as preparing and issuing transcripts, verification of attendance etc.), and continuing education registrations.
- Completes documentation in compliance with record keeping requirements of the College, and external organizations as appropriate e.g. the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, provincial and federal government financial aid programs, etc. Specific procedures and documentation requirements vary for post-secondary, continuing education and apprenticeship programs, and generally involve a considerable degree of confidentiality.
Other Duties as Assigned
- This position will include Switchboard duties and at times may support the Welcome Desk (during peak times or to cover for breaks).
The successful applicant must have:
- The successful candidate will have 2 year certificate or equivalent in Office administration General, Business studies, Human Services foundation or related field
- A minimum of 1 year of experience working in a related position
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community
Mohawk College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the HR Department at 905-575-2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.