Student Oceanographic/Meteorological Technician
City : St. Johns, NF
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
As a student member of the Instrumentation & Data Solutions team, you will be completing field operations for terrestrial data acquisition programs. Field activities include inspection, maintenance, and repairs of equipment which requires a high level of health, safety, and environmental awareness. Office related activities include system operational checks, documentation, and remote troubleshooting of monitoring systems
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Conduct day to day tasks assigned by the Technical Manager.
- Working within a team of peers to achieve project deliverables and milestones.
- Executing annual performance testing, maintenance, and troubleshooting on a network of weather stations.
- Daily system checks for terrestrial monitoring applications.
- Ensure that quality and safety standards are met
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook, and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Clear focus on high quality and safety with proven organizational and analytical skills.
- Possess strong communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills, strong computer skills, a demonstrated commitment to personal development, and willingness to provide after-hours consultation.
- Ability to function effectively in a team environment and working outdoors.
- Must be comfortable travelling by fixed wing, or rotary aircraft.
- Must be able to travel up to 2 weeks at a time on short notice.
- Ability to communicate reliably and work extended hours on occasions when required.
- Must have clean driving record.
- Must be comfortable and competent to drive long distances in a company-supplied vehicle.
- Must be able to pass required health and safety training programs.
- Must be able to pass routine drug and alcohol testing, medicals, and physicals as required.
Specific Job Skills:
- Senior student in Electronics or Instrumentation Engineering Technology
- Experience with equipment maintenance programs and computerized maintenance management software is a definite asset.
- Experience with data loggers, networking, hand tools, and construction experience is a definite asset.