Student Experience and Events Assistant
City : Ottawa
Category : Regular Full Time
Industry : Education
Employer : University of Ottawa
The University of Ottawa—A crossroads of cultures and ideas
The University of Ottawa is home to a dynamic community of over 50,000 students, faculty and staff, who live, work and study in both French and English. Our campus is a crossroad of cultures and ideas, where bold minds come together to inspire game-changing ideas. We believe in the power of representation, and that increasing the diversity of our faculty and staff supports this objective. Our goal is to provide students with the best possible learning experience, in an environment that reflects the diversity of its people, their ideas, and their identities.
We are one of Canada’s top 10 research universities—our professors and researchers explore new approaches to today’s challenges. One of a handful of Canadian universities ranked among the top 200 in the world, we attract exceptional thinkers and welcome diverse perspectives from across the globe. Our employees come together around the shared purpose of constant improvement, personal development, service excellence, teamwork and a passion for learning with a desire to make uOttawa and the world a better place. Everyone's contributions are valued, we all play a part in making uOttawa a world-class institution. Most importantly, we make it possible for you to achieve your full potential. Because at uOttawa, you belong!
About the faculty/service: Telfer School of Management
The Telfer School of Management at the University of Ottawa is located in the heart of Ottawa and is the proud academic home of some 4,300 students,200 faculty members, over 100 staff members, and over 30,000 alumni.
At Telfer, everything we do from teaching to research, to policy advice is firmly aligned with helping Canada reach its potential. We believe that better business practice means a better Canada and that a better Canada means a better world.
Reporting to the Student Experience Manager, helps the Telfer School of Management’s Student Services Centre (SSC) plan and organize SSC events and services, to maximize student value and strengthen ties with students and the business community.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Organizes numerous Career Centre and Leadership Development events and workshops. This includes location, timing, catering, and registration to ensure proper logistics of the activity.
- Assists the Manager of Student Experience to develop surveys on the quality of events and workshops (and student experience overall). In addition, the Assistant prepares reports on the information collected from all the participants of the event, which include employers, students, and Faculty. This undertaking is very important to ensure the improvement of the student experience for the Telfer School.
- Creates the proper communication package for each event including updating websites, creating event registration, posters, and other marketing material to ensure each activity is promoted to the maximum number of people and to ensure a strong attendance at each event.
- Attends the events and troubleshoots problems with a variety of issues such as equipment, set-up changes, and other logistics to ensure the satisfaction of the key stakeholders involved in each event.
- Enters data and employment postings in the appropriate program portals to ensure that all students can apply to the numerous positions and that staff can follow-up with the necessary employers.
- Provides information (in writing or in person) on admissions, registration processes, undergraduate programs, regulations and procedures to undergraduate Telfer students. This is an essential service to ensure that students have the necessary information to make an accurate and appropriate decision regarding their academics.
- Maintains continuous active communication with the members of the Telfer School of Management SSC, guaranteeing proper organization of events and programs of related to Student Experience and the Career Centre.
What you will bring:
- Excellent knowledge of the programs and services normally acquired through postsecondary education or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of academic regulations, program requirements, admission requirements and registration procedures
- Experience in event management
- Experience in data entry and analysis
- Experience in the use of computer systems and software, such as the Student Information System (SIS); Rabaska registration system; the Internet; Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook; and Adobe Photoshop and Acrobat
- Superior customer service and organizational skills
- Creativity and the ability to analyze, evaluate and negotiate details to ensure successful events and activities
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work under pressure and meet firm deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate in various situations to create new opportunities for the School of Management
- Proven flexibility and the ability to adapt to ever-changing client needs
- Demonstrated maturity, good judgment, confidence and poise
Bilingualism: French and English (spoken and written); to be considered for this position, candidates must be rated at the Low Advanced proficiency level or higher for both oral comprehension and reading comprehension in their second official language. The rating is determined by a proficiency test designed by the Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute.
Key Competencies at uOttawa:
Here are the required competencies for all of our employees at uOttawa:
Planning: Organize in time a series of actions or events in order to realise an objective or a project. Plan and organize own work and priorities in regular daily activities.
Initiative: Demonstrate creativity and initiative to suggest improvements and encourage positive results. Is proactive and self-starting. Show availability and willingness to go above and beyond whenever it is possible.
Client Service Orientation: Help or serve others to meet their needs. This implies anticipating and identifying the needs of internal and external clients and finding solutions on how to meet them.
Teamwork and Cooperation: Cooperate and work well with other members of the team to reach common goal(s). Accept and give constructive feedback. Able to adjust own behaviour to reach the goals of the team.