Student Assistant, International
City : Surrey, BC
Category : 6012-Office of Global Engagement
Industry : Education
Employer : Kwantlen Polytechnic University - KPU
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
Preference will be given to KPU students who:
o Enroll in full-time studies of 9 credits or more in the Summer 2023 semester
o Have completed at least two academic semesters at KPU
o Are not currently employed within other departments of KPU
For international students only: Study Permit and SIN must be valid throughout the entire Summer 2023 semester.
• Documents required: Resume, Cover Letter (must include KPU ID number, 2 professional and/or academic references.
SUMMARY: Student Assistant, KPU International
The Student Assistant will act as a Peer Mentor and is responsible for orienting new students to KPU by reaching out to new students, connecting with them online and in person, answering questions about navigating KPU, and creating social connections for students to increase retention and success of new students. Peer Mentors work on a caseload bases, whereby they are assigned a cohort of students, who they support throughout the students’ first year.
- Weekly check in emails to all students within their caseload
- Referral to peer tutors, advisors, counsellors, and other KPU support people
- Responding to student inquiries
- Weekly online office hours for consistent conversations with students
- Hosting monthly social hours
- Support for academic resources, such as English conversation/writing practice, explaining the post-secondary learning environment, and connecting students with the appropriate learning supports
- Reporting problematic behaviours or ongoing learning issues to their supervisor
- Provide bi-weekly updates to their supervisor on the number of contacts they have with students and the types of questions/supports needed
- Minimum KPU CPGA of 2.5 and in good academic standing
- Completed a minimum of 2 semesters at KPU and at least 18 credits
- Preference given to students with experience in one or more of the following areas
- Orientation leader
- Internatonal student life volunteer
- Learning Centre peer tutor
- FSO campus ambassador
- Global Buddy Mentor
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.