Structural Engineering Intern (EIT)
City : Toronto
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Structural Engineering Intern (EIT) - ( 230002YK )
At our core, we are a community. Together, we exercise creative thought, developing engineering and designs as
individual as the people and projects we touch. From approval and permitting to design and construction management services, we put the goals of our clients and their communities at the center of everything we create. Join us as we assist mining companies in getting mined materials to communities around the globe. We are a leader in underground hard rock mining engineering and related technology, serving the largest, deepest, and most technically challenging mines in the world. This is where great ideas and rewarding careers are built.
Our Canadian Mining team has an immediate need for a Structural Engineer to serve various clients in completing feasibility studies and detailed engineering projects for underground and surface mining operations. This is an opportunity to work on a variety of both domestic and international projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
Health & Safety:
- Understand and work according to the requirements of the Stantec Safety Culture.
- Demonstrate your commitment to safety by working in compliance with the company safety programs and initiatives, and strictly adhering to all Health and Safety rules, regulations, and procedures for Stantec and its clients. Your personal commitment to safety will help us achieve our goal of zero harm within our operations.
- Ensure all applicable safety codes, regulations, and guidelines are met by appropriate design and use of technology.
- Review and analyze project deliverables for possible safety and constructability risks and solutions.
- Perform preliminary and detailed structural design and analysis to applicable codes. Typical structures include headframes, hoist houses, collar houses, conveyor and material handling equipment foundations, bins, shaft steel structures, and other mine related infrastructure.
- Incorporate innovation, optimization, and standardization in designs as appropriate, considering constructability and economics.
- Complete fit-for-purpose designs that meet the client’s needs and requests.
- Prepare quality reports and calculation packages as project deliverables.
- Work with designers and fellow engineers on the project collaboratively to produce design deliverables with the appropriate level of detail.
- Interface with other disciplines and project management to execute projects per the project plan.
- Complete site inspections and condition assessments for mining infrastructure.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strength in analysis and design including structural steel and reinforced concrete.
- Solid knowledge of applicable design codes and familiarity with Mine Health and Safety Regulations.
- Proficiency in use of STAAD Pro is an asset.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, along with excellent interpersonal abilities and disposition to work in a team atmosphere.
- Experience completing inspections and condition assessments of concrete and steel structures is an asset.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently.
- Experience and knowledge of local clients.
- Ability to travel as required for project assignments.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with a focus on structural, Master’s degree / PhD is an asset.
- An Engineer in Training (EIT) certification (any province).
- 0 to 5 years of engineering, design, and construction experience in heavy industry, particularly surface and/or underground mining.
- Knowledge of REVIT, AutoCAD and MicroStation is an asset.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Sudbury
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-North Bay, Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Work Locations :
North Bay ON
Organization : BC-1695 Mining-CA Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jul 21, 2023, 1:42:06 PM
Req ID: 230002YK
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans