Structural Engineer – Industrial Buildings
City : Regina
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Structural Engineer - Industrial Buildings - ( 23000127 )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
A key factor in the success of the Industrial Buildings group has been our commitment to a fully integrated A/E design approach in which our team - made up of the client, operators, stakeholders and Stantec – share ideas and information freely and communicate decisions and direction quickly and effectively. It is made up of all key disciplines: architecture, structural, mechanical, process, electrical, civil, and project management. This approach provides us with a better overall understanding of the challenges and opportunities inherent in our projects, and our clients benefit from the robust, integrated design solutions that are developed and delivered. The Industrial Engineering team is a key factor to the success of the group, performing the front-end studies to understand our clients’ operations, define future requirements, and develop efficient processes as a basis for the facility design work.
Your role as a member of the Industrial Buildings group is to work independently on medium and large projects of high complexity, to manage the design requirements and meet scope and schedule obligations, identifying out of scope items, to manage budget through all phases of a project lifecycle on many exciting projects. Based in Saskatchewan, you will work on industrial projects in the province and across North America as they arise, with other talented professionals in our expanding team.
Our clients are across various sectors including agricultural, food and beverage, manufacturing, warehouse and logistics, airports and Federal, Provincial, and Municipal governments.
You will participate in the development of integrated proposals using your specialized knowledge of structural engineering, means and methods, materials, and industry standards while mentoring others and collaborating with team members to contribute to the final deliverables.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Structural design of industrial building structures and facilities, including calculations and preparation of related documents.
- Engages in the development of structural systems and preparation of design details through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in the development of three-dimensional models of building’s structural systems and provides markups for junior engineers/designers.
- Participates in project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owners and contractors, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Develops project scope, budget, staffing, schedules, and design approach for all sizes of projects.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects and projects of peers.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the structural group.
- Assists with the development of proposals for projects.
- Oversees and manages multiple projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and experience in the application of National Building Code and other relevant design codes and standards.
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of structural systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of seismic design of building structures and structural design software such as SAP, ETABS, SAFE.
- Good understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills along with an ability to work either independently or with team members in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- General understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Revit and AutoCAD is preferred.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with structural concentration.
- Minimum 5 years of solid experience in the structural design of building structures, preferably with significant experience in steel and concrete construction.
- Experience in construction reviews and report preparation is an asset.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon
Other Locations : Canada-Saskatchewan-Regina
Organization : BC-1133 Buildings-CA Saskatchewan
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 14, 2023, 7:33:41 AM
Req ID: 23000127
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans