City : Saint John
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Structural Engineer-in-Training - ( 2300018M )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
The role of a Structural EIT is to work as a team member on small and large projects under the guidance of a Senior Engineer. The Structural EIT will work under close supervision of a Senior Engineer to assist on plans and designs of industrial and general structural engineering projects in several areas such as pulp & paper and tissue, power generation and transmission, oil and gas, mining, food and beverage, and composite wood products. This role may also include assistance with the design of bridges and other transportation structures.
A Structural EIT will perform a variety of tasks which include assisting with the development of plans and designs, analyses, report writing, coordinating with other disciplines, and other tasks in the production of contract technical documents for the analysis or construction of structures and facilities.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supports project team in development of design documentation, plans and reports for relevant project design elements.
- Assists in the development of design through sketches, hand calculations, structural analysis software models, and other visual formats.
- Coordinates with other disciplines (architectural, mechanical, electrical, civil, etc.) to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Assists in the review of shop drawings and submittals, responds to requests for information, prepares site observation reports, and performs other contract administration tasks.
- Assists with the development of technical specifications.
- Assists in the evaluation and selection of structural systems and materials.
- Attends project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or clients.
- Participates in value engineering and basic cost estimating.
- Performs calculations using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Ability to perform on-site design services and field support.
- Work as a contributing team member within a multi-discipline team.
- Understand and work within Stantec's quality control guidelines.
- Comply with Stantec's EH&S program, with a focus on safety in the field.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the senior engineering staff.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of structural standards.
- Knowledge of structural systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Understanding of all phases of engineering document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions.
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Skilled at conducting preliminary research.
- Field experience is considered an asset.
- Sound technical skills, with focus on accurate design calculations and analysis.
- Strong desire to learn and work in a team environment.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to work on multiple jobs/projects at a time.
- Knowledge of and ability to use standard computer applications including, but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and AutoCAD.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Structural Engineering.
Eligible to apply as engineer-in-training with APEGNB and apply for P.Eng. licensure within four years.
Minimum of 0-3 years of related work experience
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-New Brunswick-Fredericton
Other Locations : Canada-New Brunswick-Saint John, Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador-St. John's, Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth, Canada-New Brunswick-Moncton
Organization : BC-1335 Energy-CA Atlantic
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 14, 2023, 9:45:03 AM
Req ID: 2300018M
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans