Structural Engineer, Buildings
City : Yellowknife
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Structural Engineer, Buildings - ( 230001U1 )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
Our multidisciplinary team in Northern Canada is looking for an energetic Structural Engineer to round out our growing practice across Northern Canada. This is a truly unique opportunity to experience Canada’s North, make an impact working on cool projects, and rapidly gain career-boosting experience.
The Yellowknife office has a vibrant and dynamic environment with excellent opportunities for professional growth. We are a multidiscipline team working across the North in multiple sectors for a variety of clients. Our projects vary in size ranging from small commercial developments to light industrial, government, community and private sector facilities.
Up here work-life balance truly exists. Whether you’re interested in an exciting adventure filled with camping, canoeing, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, fishing, hunting or snowmobiling, or just looking to live in a beautiful, small urban centre, the North could be the place for you. Consider this an opportunity to build your career AND enjoy your life!
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for projects of medium complexity/size.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all structural engineered systems or products for a project.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three-dimensional models of building’s structural systems and provides markups for junior engineers/designers.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various structural phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings and value analysis and basic cost estimating.
- Assists upper-level staff with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Performs and oversees the performance of calculations using company standard software, and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Utilizes advanced techniques for the analysis of specialized building elements for wood framed and steel building. Knowledge of northern foundation types such as ad-freeze and rock socketed piles, thermosyphons, and thermopiles would be an asset.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the structural group.
- Works on multiple projects.
- Develops business with new clients.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of structural design codes, standards, and applicable building codes.
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of structural systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit; Prefer experience with AutoCAD, Newforma, Component Design Software, Comprehensive Building Analysis Software, and Structure Finite Element Analysis such as RAM concept, Risa 3D, and SAFE.
- Valid driver’s license.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Civil or Structural Engineering & Licensed Professional Engineer eligible for registration with the Engineers Yukon and Northwest Territories and Nunavut Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists (NAPEG).
- Ideally 10 years of related work experience, but only a minimum of 5 years of experience is required.
Typical office environment working with computers and sitting at a desk. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Northwest Territories-Yellowknife
Organization : BC-1449 Buildings-CA North
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 24, 2023, 6:37:54 AM
Req ID: 230001U1
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans