Storage & Backup Engineer – Tangerine
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M2H0A1
Category : Computer Support Specialist
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 178526
Tangerine is Canada’s leading direct bank. We offer flexible and accessible banking options, innovative products, and award-winning Client service. The reason why Tangerine employees come to work each day is to help Canadians live better lives. We focus on making a difference in our communities, and that includes our own internal community. It’s important to us that our employees feel empowered and enthusiastic about belonging to our Orange culture.
As Canada’s leading digital bank, Tangerine technology is at the heart of everything we do. We have redefined what digital banking is, and we continue to evolve to tackle any opportunity and face every challenge through progressive technology and the power of collaboration.
Do you like new challenges? Are you ready to reach new heights in your career and become part of an established disruptor? If so, come join us and help redefine the Canadian banking landscape!
Is this role right for you? In this role, you will:
Partner with subject matter experts and other Solutions Architects on large, technically complex, and risky projects to ensure proposed applications architectures are in line with the Tangerine IT roadmap, business goals and technology trends. The Storage and Backup Engineer develops technical plans and strategies, proposals, is accountable for research and development, and represents the Bank on external industry groups. Ensures all activities conducted comply with governing regulations, internal policies, and procedures.
The Storage and Backup Engineer is responsible for creating mid-to-long term strategy and reference architecture assets on assigned areas such as Storage, Disaster Recovery, System Replication and Backups. Responsible for assessing, planning, and budgeting for all storage and backup related costs year over year. Provides headlights to upcoming/disruptive technologies that can give Tangerine a competitive edge while controlling cost as well as act as principal investigators, evaluators and advocates for technologies/approaches that will deliver concrete return-on-investment to the bank.
The banks overall operation depends on the reliability and management of these assets to support our customers day to day. This role will be participating in the proactive and reactive 24x7 support of the core storage and backup infrastructure
• On large projects, jointly accountable with the Solutions Architect to design a solution. Assesses designs of team members to ensure the recommended design achieves the appropriate balance between cost, re-use, ongoing maintenance, operability and scalability.
• Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
• Will work with and provide thought leadership to the Storage Engineers and other IT groups to ensure the operational integrity and data protection of all of Tangerine’s Storage environments. Develop and implement proactive approach to effective monitoring for reducing service interruption.
• Partner with solutions architects and other stakeholders in designing and implementing cloud strategy for storage and backup environment.
• Guide technology decisions for the business for both short and long-term storage purchases and implementations.
• Will be required to have knowledge of replication, data-de-duplication, and High Availability for SAN environments, including the implementation, operations, and management of these configurations.
• Devise a strategy for accurate consumption reporting across storage and backup services.
• Will continue to revise and refine operational procedures, automation, and documentation to provide best-in-class storage management services, allowing our customers to receive highly reliable (99.99%) and highly stable SAN environments. These environments are instrumental in running the bank’s core and ancillary systems.
• Lead Storage initiatives from the design stage and oversee production implementation.
• Assist in the design, implementation and management of all storage related platforms. Developing, implementing and overseeing policies and procedures to ensure consistent storage provisioning, uptime, regulatory compliance and data protection.
• Coordinate and ensure compliance with storage infrastructure disaster recovery and contingency plans to assure the rapid recovery of the storage and backup recovery platforms.
• Anticipate, mitigate, identify, respond to and resolve issues with storage devices, storage access and data retrieval.
• Monitor, analyze, and predict trends for storage equipment performance, space allocation, and data growth to recommend enhancements to the IT storage team.
• Implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of storage appliances and stored data assets.
• Design server storage systems, develop test cases, develop validation strategy, analyze performance, and debug storage server system solutions.
• Collaborate with development teams to help shape future applications.
• Maintaining partnerships and leveraging market technologies associated with Storage, Backup and Archive vendors product enhancements and product roadmap.
• Provides advice and counsel to project teams engaged in complex feasibility studies and detailed design and/or development regarding assigned applications and the environment in which they operate.
• Work with vendors to design and configure storage systems that best suit Tangerines needs, in terms of performance, sizing and scalability.
• Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
• Resolves complex issues of an operational and/or applications nature or issues that have been escalated.
• Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Tangerine and Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
• Champions a high performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
• Mentors and coaches others within assigned area.
Transfers subject matter expertise to other IT practitioners where appropriate.
Identifies and pursues opportunities to enhance expertise and knowledge and identifies and addresses areas for personal development in order to provide a high level of technical advice and guidance.
• Formulates implementation and conversion strategies for highly complex computer systems.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? - We'd love to work with you if you have:
• University or College Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• 10+ years of demonstrated hands-on experience in various areas of large-scale technology support roles, including Architecture and/or Storage deployments and administration
• 5+ years of technical leadership experience with demonstrated success in implementing continuous improvement and strategic initiatives
• 3+ years of demonstrated hands-on experience with the migration from on-prem to public cloud platforms.
• Deep understanding of GCP and other cloud platforms.
• Excellent knowledge of disaster recovery and replication architecture and use of the products.
• Strong understanding of backups and recovery solutions based on EMC Avamar.
• Demonstrated hands-on experience with SAN switching, based on Brocade switching technology.
• Sound technical knowledge of enterprise storage infrastructure (such as, EMC VMAX’s, Unity, Recover Point, XtremIO, ECS, VPLEX, Data Domain and Netapp AF400 storage arrays)
• Results oriented with the ability to adapt to changing needs and priorities
What's in it for you?
- You will be part of a diverse and inclusive team of Client-focused go-getters looking to learn from each other in an environment that celebrates and recognizes success!
- You will have access to thousands of online and in person courses so you can shape your career growth with the support from diverse industry leaders.
- You will get our help to save for your future and to invest in your total wellbeing through our Tangerine benefits*.
- You belong here, we are equal and un-complicated. Bring your true self to work, dress codes don’t apply here.
- You will enjoy workspace flexibility and all the excitement that comes from working at the official Bank of the Toronto Raptors.
*Tangerine employees participate in Scotiabank’s pension & benefits programs (available to permanent employees)
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
At Tangerine we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the team, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know.