Sr Engineer/Scientist – Specialist
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M8Z 5S4
Category : Regular Full Time, Engineering
Industry : Public Utilities
Employer : Ontario Power Generation
Status: Regular Full Time
Working Conditions: Hybrid Working Environment
Education Level: Bachelor’s degree in engineering or Applied Science
Location: Etobicoke, ON
Shifts(s): Days, shifts required during special periods
Travel: Yes – 10% as required
Deadline to Apply: 18th September 2023
Electrify your career and help build a brighter tomorrow.
Every generation has a challenge that defines them. At OPG, we are calling on all innovators, disruptors, thought leaders and change-makers. Join us to electrify life in one generation and build a sustainable future powered by our electricity, our ideas, and our people. Join OPG and make history.
Whether you work in the skilled trades or are a business professional, a career at OPG is an opportunity to electrify your life on -- and off -- the job.
Now we’ve set our sights on being a net-zero carbon company by 2040 and a catalyst to help the economies where we operate achieve net-zero by 2050.
OPG operates a diverse portfolio of generation assets including nuclear, hydroelectric, biomass and solar. We are also a cleantech leader and innovator, offering challenging and unique work opportunities. Help us use our power to change the world.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made.
If you require information in a format that is accessible to you, please contact AODA@opg.com
NEW CAMPUS: In late 2024, OPG is establishing our new campus at 1908 Colonel Sam Drive, Oshawa, Ontario. The new campus will provide a cutting-edge work environment that fosters collaboration and innovation.
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is looking for dynamic, strategic, and results-driven professional to join our Advanced Inspection & Maintenance (AIM) team in the role of Sr Engineer/ Specialist located in Etobicoke, Ontario.
As a recognized specialist, act as a technical authority in the Machinery Vibration and Balancing field of engineering. Develop solutions to technically complex problems in support of Ontario Power Generation (OPG) power plant operations, maintenance, design, or construction. Set objectives and carry out technical programs to provide expert consultative and technical services to clients. Present and explain advice or proposed solutions, providing support rationale for major technical and environmental decision. Develop proposals and advance recommendations to correct or alleviate the situation and assist client with implementation as approved. Advise management and technical staff on the implications of the latest technical and/or environmental developments as they relate to design, engineering, and plant operations.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will be able to use your skills and expertise to contribute to Ontario Power Generation’s continued growth and success in generating safe, clean, reliable low-cost power in a sustainable manner.
- Develop, plan, coordinate and carry out field vibration testing for the purpose of rotating equipments (e.g., pumps, motors, compressors, turbines etc.) assessment, diagnosis, and root cause investigation.
- Provide support to steam turbines during run up, operation and run down through vibration monitoring and diagnostics as appropriate.
- Perform in-situ single and multiplane balancing on fans, motors, pumps, hydro and steam turbine-generator sets.
- Carry out a broad range of engineering analysis activities including Vibration time/frequency/angle domain analyses, Operating Deflection Shape (ODS) Analysis, Experimental Modal Analysis (EMA), Modal Modification Prediction (MMP), advanced Rotor Dynamics and Torsional Vibration analyses.
- Lead field test programs, projects and develop work plans, determine resource requirements, and balance workload with available resources (if applicable), coordinate work efforts with other involved groups, adapt project/study activities to address changing priorities, anticipate and resolve problems, and accomplish planned work results to the satisfaction of the client and within established budgetary and scheduling constraints.
- Collaborate with clients, stakeholders, consultants, contractors, and government agencies associated with station work activities required.
- Provide technical supervision to technicians and junior engineer.
- Liaise with internal and external personnel in fields of expertise.
- Produce technical remedial reports to increase operational and maintenance efficiencies or enhance plant's environmental performance, design and construction.
- Develop and provide specialized technical training programs for the development of staff expertise to meet OPG and Business Unit requirements. Evaluate effectiveness of training programs, as required.
- Develop and implement internal standards and/or programs to reflect external regulations and technical developments.
- Provide coordination and recommend effective work plans for professional and technical staff. As assigned, act as a Team Leader with responsibility to oversee the conduct of work or study to resolve specific problems or investigations and provide technical recommendations.
- University bachelor’s degree in engineering or applied Science
- Must have a minimum of 8 years of progressive experience working in the areas of vibration, balancing and rotating equipment in power plants, chemical process facilities or similar industrial settings.
- Requires in-depth knowledge in vibration measurement, monitoring, and fault diagnostics of power equipment’s / machines.
- Requires experience in implementation of standards, methods, procedures, jurisdictional and industrial codes and the setting of work program objectives.
- Experience in vibration monitoring and support of steam turbine.
- Demonstrated experience in resolving vibration problems in power equipments / machines using some of the following methods –
- Vibration Measurement
- Impact Testing
- Experimental Modal Analysis (EMA)
- Operational Modal Analysis (OMA)
- Operating Deflection Shape (ODS)
- Finite Element Analysis
- Motion Amplification Videography
- ISO approved Category IV certification in Vibration
- Experience in rotor dynamics is a plus.
- Experience in the inter-relationships with internal stakeholders, manufacturers, and suppliers, as well as Government and Regulatory Agencies is an asset.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a flexible hybrid office environment.
- Be fully licensed engineer in the province of Ontario, or be eligible to be licensed in the Province of Ontario (PEng)
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values, and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.
What Makes a Career at OPG Different?
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, we’re building, expanding, and innovating the equipment and technology that keeps Ontario powered with clean, reliable energy.
At OPG, our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change:
Safety – it’s our business
Integrity – always lead with integrity
Excellence – never satisfied with good enough
Inclusion – working together for powerful outcomes
Innovation - creativity accelerates possibility.
Here's why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province and OPG’s clean electricity is helping decarbonize other sectors.
Our promise to you:
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop.
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- Partner with Indigenous communities and support local businesses.
- We support employment equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Are you ready to start a career that has the power to electrify life on and off the job? Apply now.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/ by 11:59 PM E.S.T., 18 Sept 2023. OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.