Sr Database Administrator
City : Calgary, AB, CA
Category : Information Technology
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Rogers
Our Technology team wakes up every day with one goal in mind - connecting Canadians to the people and things that matter most. Together, we are proud to support 30 million Canadians each month through managing a robust portfolio that champions leading-edge technology. We drive large-scale, complex, and high-visibility technology projects and programs that shape the future of technology in Canada and expand connectivity from coast to coast. If you are interested in being a part of this, consider applying for the following opportunity:
Reporting to the Sr. Manager Database Services, the Sr. Database Administrator shall be responsible for build activities within a large and complex environment. The role oversees solutions and delivery of Oracle, SQL Server, MariaDB and other Open-Source database, Golden Gate, and emerging database technologies. Successful candidate requires strong technical skills coupled with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment managing diverse activities.
What you will be doing – key responsibilities:
- Managing enterprise database support and build services for databases, ensuring efficient project delivery and optimal uptime.
- Provide Incident, Problem management support and implement infrastructure/database changes.
- Working closely with technical team leads, IT specialists, management, and application support groups to ensure quality of service and timely delivery of projects.
- Troubleshoot complex database issues in installation, migration and/or upgrade for timely resolution.
- Staying abreast with new database technologies and analyzing such technologies to bring into scope of existing infrastructure.
- Managing the design, build and delivery process for databases and Golden gate replication.
- Improve the database standards, consolidation, disaster recovery strategies and delivery operations.
- Solving complex problems, promote efficiency, and identify opportunities for process automation.
What you bring – preferred competencies & qualifications:
- Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 10+ years hands-on experience in managing databases with deep understanding of infrastructure and database architecture.
- Expert level technical knowledge of database technology stack; mainly Oracle, Exadata, SQL Server, MariaDB & leading NoSQL databases.
- Proficient in database management, architecture, design, maintenance and overseeing Oracle Exadata Machine, PCA, and ZDLRA.
- Expert level knowledge of Oracle Active Data Guard, GoldenGate, ZDLRA and OEM support.
- Experienced with configuration, managing, and handling Security Alerts on Exadata and ZDLRA.
- Experienced in migrating Oracle databases/application from AIX/VMware environments to Exadata.
- Experienced in deploying Exadata quarterly upgrades/patches, including rolling patches.
- Skilled in administration of ASM Disk Groups, rebalance operation using Exadata Storage Server.
- Ability to manage multiple Oracle Exadata Database Machines.
- Ideal candidate will have experience with Red Hat RHEL 6/7, Oracle Linux 6/7, and AIX 7.
- Knowledgeable in implementing and managing OCI IaaS, PaaS and SaaS services.
- Understanding of Exadata features like Flash cache, Storage Index, HCC and IORM.
- Scripting experience in PERL, Python, or Shell.
- Database Administration Certification.
- ITIL Foundation (preferred)
Schedule: Full time
Length of Contract: Not Applicable (Regular Position)
Work Location: Barlow 2400 32 Ave NE (7789), Calgary, AB
Travel Requirements: Up to 10%
Posting Category/Function: Technology & Information Technology
Requisition ID: 300195
At Rogers, we believe the key to a strong business, is a diverse workforce where equity and inclusion are core to making everyone feel like they belong. We do this by embracing our diversity, celebrating our different perspectives, and working towards creating environments that empower our people to bring their whole selves to work. Everyone who applies for a job will be considered. We recognize the business value in creating a workplace where each team member has the tools to reach their full potential by removing any barriers for equal participation. We work with our candidates who are experiencing a disability throughout the recruitment process to ensure that they have what they need to be at their best. Please reach out to our recruiters and hiring managers to begin a conversation about how we can ensure that you deliver your best work. You matter to us! For any questions, please visit the Recruitment Process FAQ.
Successful candidates will be required to complete a background check as part of the hiring process.
Posting Notes: Digital & Technology