Specialist Telecom & Networks
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR (IESO)
|Location:||Mississuaga - Hybrid|
|Business Unit:||Information & Technology Services|
Why join us?
You’ve got great skills. And you want to use them in an organization where you know what you do every day matters. We get that.
We also know that ensuring Ontarians have access to affordable and reliable power doesn’t happen by accident. So we give you the tools, flexibility and support you need to achieve your goals, and development opportunities to help you grow. You’ll thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment that values your unique skills and experiences – and recognizes that when you do better, we become even better too.
Who we are
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the centre of the province’s power system, ensuring Ontarians have access to reliable and cost-effective electricity when and where they need it. We operate the province’s electricity grid 24/7, design, run and oversee the wholesale electricity markets, and plan and prepare to meet Ontario’s electricity needs – now and into the future.
The Specialist, Telecom & Networks you will be working as part of a dynamic team in a real time environment, you will provide technical expertise for the IESO’s enterprise network and security infrastructure. The successful candidate will co-ordinate the implementation of all Network LAN, WAN and Cyber Security Infrastructure components. This person is a technical expert, providing advice, direction and solutions to infrastructure issues.
This individual will be responsible for providing project management support, technical leadership and system expertise to projects and teams involved in the development, testing and implementation of infrastructure facilities. Investigate and evaluate new infrastructure components, monitor problems and coordinate repairs with other technical/vendor support staff. Evaluate and coordinate all the customer’s infrastructure needs (storage, data, voice, etc) to ensure an efficient infrastructure. Set up and present training seminars through lectures and hands on training.
This position will involve 24x7 on-call support work.
IESO common infrastructure is composed of the following:
- Telecommunications Facilities consist of data/voice communication networks supporting the following areas: collect and provide field data and control functions for power system operation, Market Participant Networks, Market Services, settlement services, call centre and office telephone systems.
- Network Facilities are tightly integrated and linked with other IESO and non-IESO facilities, consist of a complex network of routers, switches, servers, gateways, firewalls/security devices and office WAN links. This infrastructure uses a number of platforms and protocols (Load Balancers, VPN, Wi-Fi, Web Proxy, Intrusion Prevention System, Advance Malware, Linux, Ethernet, TCP/IP, OSPF, BGP, DNP3, ICCP, MPLS, VoIP, PRI, Network Performance Monitoring, Diagnostics and Automation/Orchestration scripting.)
What you’ll be doing
- Install, commission, maintain, operate, modify and upgrade IESO network and telecommunication infrastructure to maintain the existing standards and to meet the changing business needs.
- Evaluate, plan, and develop upgrade/enhancement proposals related to IESO network and telecommunication infrastructure. These proposals are based on assessments of new and emerging user requirements, NERC CIP compliance, analysis of systems and equipment performance data.
- Develop evolutionary voice/data design infrastructure solutions to meet IESO business requirements and liaise with internal/external counterparts, contractors and suppliers. In conjunction with others, provide solutions from concept, through technical evolution and feasibility to final implementation.
- Action or direct work of assigned team members for specific projects. Organize and assign work with degree of instruction deemed necessary. Provide advice and guidance during work progress. Assist in resolving work problems and negotiate plan changes or priorities with users.
- Conduct actions for the technical and operational support (Tier 2 and 3) for IESO network and telecommunication infrastructure
- Conduct the implementation of IESO security policies by creating and configuring firewalls, routers and other network security equipment. Evaluate risks and the effectiveness of systems in enforcing these policies. Investigate security issues, recommend and implement changes to mitigate/reduce known risks.
- Conduct necessary actions for support and consulting services to meet IESO business needs pertaining to network and telecommunication operation and administration. This involves a sound understanding of the design, implementation, operating philosophy, various network and telecommunication products and equipment used in data/voice. Analyze and respond to problems and provide maintenance support.
- Conduct necessary actions for the operation, support and administration of network and telecommunication infrastructure to meet IESO business needs. This involves a sound understanding of the design, implementation and operating philosophy of various operating systems and server equipment used to provide these common services. Analyze and respond to problems. Provide system administration and maintenance support including equipment configuration.
- Document procedures for administering networks and telecommunication infrastructure.
- Act as a teacher or mentor to associates to advance their learning and facilitate problem solving within their respective areas of expertise.
- Perform other duties as required.
What you need to succeed
- Requires knowledge of electronic theory, science, physics, applied mathematics, computer science and programming to carry out technical, or analytical studies related to the data/voice systems, network and network security systems used in the IESO infrastructure as it relates to the installation, inspection, maintenance or modification of equipment as well as provide advice and guidance to others.
- Requires knowledge of technical writing to prepare effective reports, procedures, and training materials.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through the successful completion of a four-year University education or by having the equivalent education.
- Requires considerable exposure to IESO business processes as might be acquired through experience in positions related to the power system, energy market operation, diagnosis and troubleshooting techniques, network communications equipment and cyber security device operation/maintenance.
- Requires experience in field metering and relaying, computer security and/or voice/data network communications work to become familiar with the installation, testing, servicing, troubleshooting and maintenance of IESO infrastructure equipment.
- Requires specific experience as applicable to the particular specialty of the group. Experience will be related to the fields of: (a) bulk power system/energy market operations pertaining to SCADA/RTU systems, (b) voice/data LAN/WAN networking, (c) network switches and routers (d) firewalls and security devices, and (e) storage and backup infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of Cisco switches and routers, including Cisco VSS, IOS and NX-OS would be an asset.
- Working experience with Security infrastructure, specifically Checkpoint Firewalls, TippingPoint IPS, Symantec Antivirus, Forcepoint Web Filtering, F5 Application Security Manager, LogRhythm SIEM, Pulse Secure, FireEye, Qualys, Ansible, NetScout, SentinelOne and RSA Secure Authentication would be an asset.
- Requires a good knowledge of English to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, to interact with customers, train staff and prepare and update documentation.
- Such expertise will be in the areas of: (1) design concepts as they relate to troubleshooting, inspection and maintenance of IESO infrastructure components, (2) diagnostics and the application of voice/data solutions to meet IESO needs, (3) familiarity with IESO infrastructure and how it is used in IESO business processes, (4) network security theory and implementation, (5) concepts of power system/energy market operation pertaining to technical facilities as well as data/voice interchange between external systems.
- A period of over eight years, up to and including ten years, is considered necessary to gain this experience.
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
Deadline: Oct 6, 2023
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
The IESO offers a hybrid work model program to most of our employees, based on business needs. Individuals participating in the program can work an average of three days per week remotely within Ontario. It also offers three flex weeks when individuals can work remotely within Ontario . When working in the office, you will be located at our Mississauga location.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2023 Employers, and what we offer.