Specialist Solutions (Sr. Java Developer)
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR (IESO)
|Location:||Mississauga, ON (Hybrid)|
|Status:||Temporary, up to 24-months|
|Business Unit:||Information & Technology Services|
Why join us?
You’ve got great skills. And you want to use them in an organization where you know what you do every day matters. We get that.
We also know that ensuring Ontarians have access to affordable and reliable power doesn’t happen by accident. So we give you the tools, flexibility and support you need to achieve your goals, and development opportunities to help you grow. You’ll thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment that values your unique skills and experiences – and recognizes that when you do better, we become even better too.
Who we are
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the centre of the province’s power system, ensuring Ontarians have access to reliable and cost-effective electricity when and where they need it. We operate the province’s electricity grid 24/7, design, run and oversee the wholesale electricity markets, and plan and prepare to meet Ontario’s electricity needs – now and into the future.
The Solutions Development team is responsible for developing and supporting software applications used by market participants and IESO staff. The Specialist Solutions position will perform several key roles such as application support & development, project management, solution analysis & design.
What you'll do
- Develop and test integrated computer-based information solutions for business and operations processes for the reliable operation of the power system, operation of the IESO Administered Market, and for other corporate needs of the IESO. Conduct analysis of customer requirements, the production of functional specifications, and the development of a satisfactory information solution (ie, impacting areas of software, hardware, communications and business processes).
- Oversee the evolution of existing information systems and tools related to the market operation, supply, security and settlement services related to the management of the power system and other corporate requirements by conducting/developing/monitoring enhancements to provide additional functionality, improved reliability/maintainability and problem correction.
- Identify opportunities for information solutions that will provide effective and economic benefits for customers. Address the total solution in terms of quality, communications, data sources, software tools, integration with existing functions, user interfaces, algorithms, etc.
- Monitor and oversee assigned projects for the development and expansion of information systems and tools. Provide periodic or limited work assignment, organizing, scheduling and checking work of others delegated to assist in specific work projects.
- Provide project management support to projects or teams involved in the expansion and improvement of information systems and tools.
- Provide Quality Assurance (QA) support for information solution changes by participating in the creation of QA deliverables and execution of QA plans.
- Maintain a close customer relationship and be alert to identify potential improvements to existing systems and propose new information system requirements.
- Participate in the development of strategic plans and standards.
- Act as a teacher or mentor to associates to advance their learning and facilitate their problem-solving skills within their respective areas of expertise.
- Perform other duties as required.
What you need to succeed
- Requires a strong academic knowledge of computer science and associated subjects, a strong practical knowledge and demonstrated all aspects of the software development life cycle.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through the successful completion of a four-year University education in the appropriate field/discipline or by having the equivalent education.
- Experience with all aspects of the project management, solution delivery, and software development life cycle.
- Familiarity with market administration processes and procedures.
- Experience in assessing, reviewing, designing, developing and delivering business solutions.
- Experience with information/application design patterns and solution best practices.
- Experience and ability to abstract business problems, break them into functional and technical requirements, and identify affected/supported processes.
- Experience in authoring technical specifications, process procedures and information diagrams.
- Experience in providing project support, technical leadership and system expertise to teams involved in designing and supporting change initiatives involving solutions.
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks, perform in-depth code reviews and ensure design and coding adhere to security and architectural standards.
- Experience working with SQL and relational databases such as Oracle and MS SQL Server.
- Experience with APIs and/or middleware as part of large system implementation, integration patterns, and ongoing support.
- Experience with development tools (i.e., Red Hat Development Studio, SAP Data Services, Subversion).
- Experience with DevOps tools - Maven, Jenkins, GitHub, Subversion and Automated Testing.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience with hands-on software development using Java and Spring Framework.
A period of eight years, up to and including ten years, is considered necessary to gain this experience. The selected individual may be required to be on-call to support applications 24x7 on a periodic basis.
- Good analytical and communications skills (verbal/written).
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to work independently in a team environment.
- Deadline-oriented individual with proven excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to focus on minute details to ensure product quality
- Demonstrates a strong personal commitment to customer needs and corporate objectives.
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
The IESO offers a hybrid work model program to most of our employees, based on business needs. Individuals participating in the program can work an average of three days per week remotely within Ontario. It also offers three flex weeks when individuals can work remotely within Ontario . When working in the office, you will be located at our Mississauga, ON location.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2023 Employers, and what we offer.