Specialist, Operational Excellence (Moa, Cuba based)
City : ., AB
Category : Full Time Operational Excellence
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Sherritt
Sherritt is a world leader in the mining and refining of nickel and cobalt – metals essential for the growing adoption of electric vehicles. Sherritt’s Technologies group creates innovative, proprietary solutions for natural resource-based industries around the world to improve environmental performance and increase economic value. Sherritt is also the largest independent energy producer in Cuba.
Across all of our operations, safety is our top priority, and we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture. We offer a work environment where team members are truly valued and have what they need to thrive in their role and make a meaningful impact.
An exciting opportunity exists in our Moa mine site in Cuba for a Specialist, Operational Excellence.
Reporting to Director, Operational Excellence, the Specialist, Operational Excellence will be responsible to work with the business on their improvement business plans; to advise the Moa Operational Excellence group; and guide technical work and deliver on the Operational Excellence Business Plan.
The position will work at least 60 hours per week on a four week on two weeks off rotational schedule.
- Define, develop, and deliver a roadmap to achieve the objectives of the Operational Excellence business plan refreshing the roadmap/plan annually to ensure relevancy and inform the budget / long range planning process.
- Implement and monitor the operational excellence management system elements necessary to achieve and sustain a culture of excellence in alignment to Sherritt’s Operational Excellence strategy and framework.
- Complete needs analysis for Operational Excellence training programs focused on continuous improvement skills development, develop content, implement, and monitor effectiveness of training using Operational Excellence techniques.
- Coach leaders in the development of Sherritt’s continuous improvement culture using Info Centres, Lean and Six Sigma, and other Operational Excellence tools.
- Report and update on ongoing projects, analyze outcomes and quantify the results for the business.
- Establish and maintain a high level of employee engagement with all Operational Excellence practitioners via effective mentoring and coaching.
- Provide experience, guidance and coaching to Operational Excellence team on technical aspects of operational excellence methodologies including, but not limited to, statistical analysis, risk management, change management.
- Define, develop, implement, and monitor an appropriate change management and communication process ensuring effective utilization on improvement initiatives and roll out of new program at the Fort site where Operational Excellence is engaged, and in alignment to the metals division change management and communication strategy and plans.
- Assist with problem identification, analyze data, and provide recommendations on process improvement opportunities to site leaders.
- Facilitate and coach employees and leaders on the development of improvement projects and their execution.
- Provide recommendations for KPI’s and share with key stakeholders for feedback.
- Benchmark and analyze industry best practices to recommend and develop actions necessary to achieve the strategy and objectives across Metals.
- Lead complex, cross departmental, significant value improvement projects.
- Ensure alignment of improvement projects and events to the Operational Excellence standards and procedures.
Qualifications and Skills
- Recognized Continuous Improvement Certification or equivalent in Lean or Six Sigma.
- Minimum 5 years of experience implementing continuous improvement principles and practices (Lean, 6S, process optimization).
- Experience in energy, minerals, manufacturing, or chemical production industry.
- Understanding of products, processes, facilities, and performance relative to peers is considered an asset.
- Organizational change management and project management skills.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal, including public speaking, and presentation skills.
- Analytical skill set to turn data into useful business information/statistical skill set (Six Sigma).
- Fluency in Spanish considered a significant asset.
What Sherritt Can Offer You
- Competitive salary with comprehensive benefits and retirement savings programs that holistically support employee wellbeing.
- Generous paid time off to support and empower employee work/life balance.
- Ongoing learning and professional development opportunities within a diverse, inclusive, and dynamic work environment
Application Deadline: The job posting will remain open until a qualified candidate is selected.
We thank all candidates for their application. Only qualified candidates will be contacted directly and engaged in the interview process.