Specialist, Locomotive Design
City : Calgary, AB, CA
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network. Visit cpkcr.com to learn about the CPKC advantage, our purpose and culture.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Specialist Locomotive Designs’ primary function is to improve the return on locomotive assets by developing and implementing locomotive design strategies for their specific use by class, type, corridor, etc. Interface with various departments within the organization including: Service Design, Transportation Execution team, Train & Engine teams, Mechanical Services, and Strategic Sourcing team (fuel).
- Develop, implement, and accurately represent the locomotive design strategy which supports the Operating Plan (OP), Local Operating Plan (LOP) and Unit Bulk Demand trains while achieving corporate productivity, service commitments, and reducing overall locomotive costs
- Provide ongoing analysis and develop recommendations for fleet sizing requirements based on train design requirements, forecasted train starts, fleet capacity, and use
- Perform periodic Yard and Local (LOP) locomotive reviews in concert with T&E and Operations Centres to optimize the use of the yard and local locomotive fleets
- Maintain accurate records of the locomotive requirements in LOP and OP, as well as locomotives in Low GTM services
- Develop fueling strategies to reduce fuel costs, maximize fueling range while minimizing train delay and locomotive dwell throughout the network
- Provide input to train design changes and the weekly Changes to Base Plan broadcasts
- Provide ad-hoc analysis and recommendations for specific requests with respect to the use and supply of specific locomotive fleets
- Monitor Locomotive Consist Compliance against the actual locomotive profile design and provides feedback to the Operations Centres and Mechanical Services
- Communicate Locomotive and train design issues to Transportation Execution and Service Design teams
- Complete analysis on the use of specific locomotive fleets to determine if the fleet types are being utilized in the correct services.
- University degree in business or related field
- Prior experience in CP Operations/Transportation and Service Design departments considered an asset
- Working knowledge of CP's network and general train design
- Knowledge of various classes of locomotive equipment including haulage ratings and fuel consumption
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Suite (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Thorough knowledge of TC, FRA and Environmental locomotives regulations
- Proficient or previous experience with CP Systems & Dashboards including: Railway Performance Monitoring (RPM), Locomotive Operations, Locomotive Management & Planning Tool (LMP), Traffic Analysis Dashboard, Train Performance Dashboard, NEXUS, TYES
- Previous knowledge or experience with basic arithmetic and equivalent competency
- Exceptional communication skills with ability to influence stratum 3, 4, 5 leaders
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must be comfortable delivering presentations to groups.
WHAT CPKC HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
- Flexible Work Environment
As an employer with North American presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CPKC. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CPKC is an employment equity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC), members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities. Accommodations for the job application process can be provided, as appropriate, upon request. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)”.
- Req ID: 100999
- Department: Market Strategy & Asset Management
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 0-10%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Grade: 4
- Job Available to: Internal & External