Specialist, Labour Relations
City : Fort Saskatchewan, AB
Category : Full Time Human Resources
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Sherritt
Headquartered in Toronto, Sherritt is a world leader in using hydrometallurgical processes to mine and refine nickel and cobalt – metals essential for an electric future. Its Technologies Group creates innovative, proprietary solutions for natural resource- based industries around the world to improve environmental performance and increase economic value.
Sherritt has embarked on a multi-pronged growth strategy focused on expanding nickel and cobalt production by up to 20% from 2021 and extending the life of mine at Moa beyond 2040. The Corporation is also the largest independent energy producer in Cuba. Sherritt’s common shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol “S”.
Reporting to the Manager, Labour Relations & Disability Management, the Specialist, Labour Relations will focus on the provisions of effective employee and labour relations services.
The position will be based out of our Fort Saskatchewan plant site.
- Develop and implement an annual business plan that is aligned to the five year LR strategy and supports positive & effective relationships between unionized and non-unionized employees.
- Support the Company’s objective of enhancing the employee experience by building and fostering a strong interest based relationship with the Union.
- Provide advice and guidance related to employment legislation, the collective agreement, grievances, human resources policies and workplace issues that impact unionized and non-unionized employees.
- Serve as a key resource to the HR Business partners in the investigation and resolution of grievances. Lead the preparation for arbitration cases per the collective bargaining agreement.
- Oversee the grievance processes to ensure consistency and resolution within established timelines.
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant legal and arbitral developments and recommend actions regarding compliance and risk mitigation.
- Support the development of a bargaining plan and mandate.
- Prepare for and participate in negotiations during the collective bargaining process.
- Ensure that leaders throughout the organization are provided with the right tools and development opportunities to handle employee issues that are governed by the collective agreement, Human Rights legislation, Employment Standards, and Sherritt policies including the development.
- Develop and deliver education sessions for leaders and employees on labour and employee relations topics.
- Partner with the Human Resources Business Partners to provide subject matter expert advice on the planning and execution of investigations related to employee issues. Lead complex investigations (as required) pertaining to discipline and harassment.
- Lead all responses for Human Rights, Unfair Labour Practices, and Employment Standards complaints.
- Serve as a key resource interfacing with legal on various issues.
- In partnership with Disability Management, develop and implement and sustain an attendance management program.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelors’ degree in Human Resources or related field.
- 5+ years of related experience and/or training equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous LR experience within a heavy industrial environment.
- Experience with Alcohol and Drug policy administration considered an asset.
- HR designation (CPHR) considered an asset.
- Training in root cause investigation an asset.
- Understanding of Canadian legal framework for Labour Relations.
- Knowledge of employment standards and regulations within the jurisdictions of accountability.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal, including contract writing.
- Effective Influencing and negotiation skills.
- Investigation, Influencing and Legal research skills.
- Analytical skill set to turn data into useful business information.
- Conflict resolution skills.
- Facilitation skills.
- Relationship building skills.
What Sherritt Can Offer You
- Competitive wage with comprehensive benefits and retirement savings programs that holistically support employee wellbeing
- Generous paid time off to support and empower employee work/life balance
- Ongoing learning and professional development opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and dynamic work environment
Application Deadline: The job posting will remain open until a qualified candidate is selected.
We thank all candidates for their application. Only qualified candidates will be contacted directly and engaged in the interview process.