Specialist Damage Prevention & Freight Claims
City : Calgary, AB, CA
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network. Visit cpkcr.com to learn about the CPKC advantage, our purpose and culture.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Specialist Damage Prevention & Freight Claims, you are responsible for the delivery of CPKC’s freight damage prevention and risk mitigation strategies. In support of specific customers or lines of business, you will manage freight exceptions, and product damage concerns, design closed railcar loading methods, provide education to stakeholders, and mitigate any incurred or potential freight liabilities to CPKC.
You will set daily work priorities and objectives to respond to exceptions, develop damage prevention strategies and determine CPKC’s liability from assigned freight claim files. You will also attend CPKC, customer, or industry facility, terminal, or yard locations to support education and determine loading compliance or a root cause of incurred freight damage.
This position can work in Calgary, AB and Mississauga, ON/Milton, ON office.
- Provide effective and timely exception management of freight or product issues impacting internal CPKC and external stakeholders. Resolve urgent issues timely and develop prevention programs to mitigate future occurrences
- Use data and in-field observations to identify the root cause of product damage. Recommend solutions that reinforce standard safe loading practices or design/propose potential new loading methods to improve the customer shipment experience and reduce damage
- Determine the liability of CPKC independently or in support of review by the freight claim investigators to validate applicable liability and the accuracy of accounting for any approved settlement for assigned freight claims
- Support new and existing business opportunities by providing exception experience or product knowledge as it relates to safe loading and damage prevention
- Deliver regular quality and liability activity reports to support departmental or external stakeholder business needs
- Deliver all prevention, loading method advice, field activities & inspection reporting, freight claim investigations, and settlement activities in compliance with CPKC departmental and regulatory standards
- Respond to exception situations (derailment, yard, or terminal incidents) when required 24/7 to mitigate freight liability loss to CPKC and support recovery of customer freight
- Undergraduate degree or railroad experience in relevant fields.
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience.
- Previous railroad experience in the field of damage prevention, mechanical, or train operations, or claims/risk management is preferred.
- Strong ability to simplify technical tutoring/coaching and foster understanding is preferred.
- Experience in negotiation and communication, both written and verbal, up to Vice President Level is required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel (data analysis), Word, Outlook, and Microsoft PowerPoint. Moderate familiarity with Microsoft VISIO is considered an asset.
- Excellent analytical, and problem solving skills with high attention to detail;
- Strong organizational, time management, communication and presentation skills;
- Understanding of technical drawings and contract terms with an ability to apply relative to prevention and liability management is an asset;
- Must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and work under pressure within strict timeframes.
WHAT CPKC HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
As an employer with North American presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CPKC. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CPKC is an employment equity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC), members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities. Accommodations for the job application process can be provided, as appropriate, upon request. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)”.
- Req ID: 101317
- Department: Corporate Risk
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel:
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Grade: 4
- Job Available to: Internal & External