Solutions Engineering & Introduction – Submarine
City : St Laurent, Quebec, Canada
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration and provide the flexibility and tools to make it a reality with remote work and hybrid work environments.
- We believe in an inclusive, diverse and barrier-free work environment which makes for empowered and committed employees.
- We recognize the importance of well-being and offer programs and benefits to support and sustain the mental and physical health of our employees and their families and also offer a variety of paid family leave programs.
- We are committed to employee development, offering tuition reimbursement and a variety of in-house learning and mentorship opportunities.
- We know that financial security is important. We offer competitive salaries and incentive programs, and an employee share option purchase program.
- We realize time away to recharge is non-negotiable. We offer excellent “paid time off”benefitsfor all employees.
- Great work deserves recognition. We have a robust recognition program, with ongoing and enhanced awards for exemplary performance.
How You Will Contribute:
As a Network Systems Engineer you will support Ciena’s Packet Optical, Routing and Switching, Network Management and Cloud Applications portfolios. You will be a key technical contributor on this customer-facing team, and will work directly with Product Management, R&D, Sales, and Services in bringing Ciena solutions to market. You will also work directly with customers, helping them solve networking challenges and advance their objectives with Ciena solutions through integration work, lab demos and field trials on customer networks.
- Integration work for adapting Ciena transmitter technology into 3rd party platforms (APIs, C, C++)
- Lab/field activities maximizing telecom capacity/performance, interoperating with foreign systems, resolving issues and demonstrating features (incl. submarine telecom cables)
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- Initiative – You’re a self-starter who works with limited direction and is committed to delivering against aggressive project deadlines from inception through to deployment.
- Attention to detail – able to meticulously execute test plans or method of procedure while thoroughly documenting results in a comprehensive matter.
- Agility – you thrive in high-pressure situations during lab activities and technical issue resolution. You multitask and readily adapt to changing environments, projects, priorities and business drivers.
- A sense of urgency – what’s important to the customer is equally important to you. You make getting things done a priority.
- Communication – the ability to work with customers and account teams to understand requirements and priorities, use your technical expertise to develop the optimal solution, and tailor your message, ideas and presentations to the audience to ensure understanding and agreement.
- The flexibility to work independently and as part of a broader team – you thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment, but are comfortable working independently as required.
- Relationship builder – with a proven ability to influence and work with others.
- A commitment to learning – you keep abreast of network security industry developments, constantly seeking for new ways to bring value to the work that you do.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent
- Technical diploma/certificate in telecommunication
- Lab experience with optical technology. Familiarity with optical transmission, lab environments, instrumentation (e.g., OSA), coherent modems (e.g., BPSK, DPSK) or cloud computing
- Experience with either: optical networks, routings, hardware integration or software development
- Experience with either: Ciena, Cisco, Juniper, Huawei, Nokia, AWS, Azure
- Familiarity with CMIS, C-CMIS and CFP-MSA coherent plug specification an asset
- WebUI (HTML5, CSS, YANG, XML, JSON) and/or northbound interfaces (REST API, NETCONF, gRPC)
- Ability to investigate, troubleshoot, determine root causes across multiple teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Multilingual an asset
- Interest/ability to travel to other Ciena facilities or customer sites
- Ability of establishing customer confidence and rapport across cultural lines
- Organized, meticulous team player
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.