Solutions and Networks Engineer
City : Montreal
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
JOB DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Solution Engineering and Introduction (SE&I) team is a hands-on technical team responsible for identifying, developing and delivering solutions and lab validation, portfolio interop testing and systems integration activities. The team supports the integration of multiple products and technologies across Next Gen Optical Transport, Switching, Packet Access, Network Management, Orchestration and 3rd party products. These platforms form solutions across emerging next generation Metro and LH Transport connectivity solutions, Metro Business Solutions, Data Center interconnect, Multi-layer optimized solutions, mobile backhaul, IoT connectivity, and Smart Grid to name a few. Key elements of this role include network setup, integration, testing, validation and implementation of these solutions with our customers. We are looking for a team player with a proven ability to work in a multi-disciplinary group enabling Ciena products and working independently or with a team. The team includes technical coverage at L0, L1, L2, L3 and network Management layers across multiple platforms.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary group and interface with Sales engineering, PLM, Marketing, Architect, R&D, SVT/PV and customers to define a Solution or Interop scenario.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive validation strategy (including detailed test scenarios) in our lab (or on Customer premises). This work includes management of 3rd party OEM’s and integrate of all aspects of our solutions which include service, scalability and performance, reliability, delivery, service validation to ensure that new designs meet or exceed customer requirements.
- Executing on proof-of-concept testing, performance, interworking and solution acceptance for a variety of applications on our Converged Packet Optical, Packet Access and Edge platforms, and Management and orchestration platforms.
- Help in generating Engineering Guidelines, Sales Engineering and Customer Introduction packages, Performance metrics, and other key items required by our Field Engineers
- Good sense of responsibility, judgment, organization and analytical skills, able to promote and implement new ideas.
- Experience in optical transport (DWDM), OTN, packet and telecom or IT networking infrastructures.
- Experience in testing or delivery of MPLS network solutions or IP/MPLS technologies.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following language/protocols: Java, Python, C, C++, Perl, Tcl,
- Knowledge of Network Management and various tools, Open APIs (REST, NetConf, Yang, gRPC etc. )
- Knowledge of Virtualization/Cloud based applications and deployment techniques ( OpenStack, OpenDaylight, Docker, etc. )
- Understanding storage area networking (SAN) and data center architectures is an asset
- Ability to work individually and in a team with learning ‘can do’ attitude.
- Effective Troubleshooting skills
- Verbal, written communications, solid interpersonal and presentation skills
- Experience in Next Gen. Optical products (Ciena, Ericsson, Infinera, Adva, Nokia) , OTN switching including the associate protocols and standards
- Hands-on experience engineering, testing, or deploying networks on Carrier Ethernet or IP/MPLS based platforms with (Ciena, Ericsson, Nokia, Cisco, Juniper, Huawei)
- Understanding of Carrier Ethernet Services (E-Line, E-LAN, E-Tree and E-Access)
- Experience in L2/L3 protocols (IP, Ethernet, Eth OAM, VPLS, IP/MPLS, BGP, IPv6, MPLS-TP, etc...)
- Knowledge of Network Synchronization (SyncE, IEEE1588….) would be a good asset.
- Familiar with various API’s for North bound integration.
- Working knowledge or good understanding of Network Management concepts such as SDN and Virtualization concepts such as VNF’s and orchestration solutions.
- Understanding of security (RADIUS, authentication, encryption, etc.)
- Working experience with a variety of test sets including Ixia, Spirent, JDSU, and Anritsu etc…
- University degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science.
- Minimum 3 years in telecommunications related industry
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.