Solution Engineering & Introduction (SE&I) Engineer
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified below and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
We believe in the power of people. We are a network strategy and technology company that is motivated by making a difference in people’s lives – their productivity, their creativity, their health and comfort. That’s why our engineers design and implement technologies that allow people to do great things.
We’re looking for highly motivated and talented packet networking knowledgeable engineers who are passionate about engineering velocity and automation. You will build solutions that provide Ciena engineers robust data pathways that allow for cross-regional communication and the infrastructure to support these pathways. You will own and drive entire solutions which include service network scalability, reliability, and troubleshooting. In this role you will work directly with Product Engineering, Product Management, Sales Engineering, Customer account teams, and Product support in bringing our next generation packet solutions to market. You will be responsible to define and develop Product and Solutions Engineering and Performance guidelines, support Customer Proof of Concept and Certification trials, develop and test Product Interoperability scenarios, and support our field engineers as a subject matter expert on bids and field issues.
What will you do at Ciena?
- Engage in an ongoing cycle of building and innovating multi product solutions using the very latest features that Ciena delivers…beginning from before new features and products are available to the general market.
- Develop and test cutting edge networking solutions and applications in the lab to assess suitability as defined by such parameters as functional alignment with leading edge requirements, manageability, performance, scalability, security.
- Have a strong voice. Proactively be part of the conversation towards inspiring the refinement of the features required for automated, scalable networking solutions that address the challenges faced by operators in support of such areas as 5G, Financial Technology, Data Centers, Utilities, Large Enterprises, Social Media.
- Work directly with sales teams to help integrate Ciena packet solutions and features into customer networks of all sizes, Proof of Concept environments towards sales enablement, and customer premise or remote trials.
- Deliver Product and Solutions Systems Engineering items as part of new product hardware and software releases. This typically includes development of items such as Product and Solutions Engineering Guidelines, Sales Engineering and Customer Introduction packages, Test Plans and Test Execution of Key Customer configurations, Definition of Performance metrics, development of Solutions blue-prints and other key items required by our Field Engineers. Share knowledge via delivery of training to large groups and other knowledge sharing forums.
- Be the Technical prime to drive key Packet Networking customer engagements which include trials or certifications for Ciena product. Complete test execution either in Customer labs, in the field, or at local premise. Capture any customer requests for incremental capabilities that could potentially be rolled into upcoming releases.
- Support the Global account/sales engineering community with pre-sales and post-sales activities that include customer bid (RFP/RFI) technical support, market readiness (new product introduction) support, technical consultation, solution evaluation and architecture design, and other engineering network design consulting.
- Embrace the ‘feedback loop’ by engaging with various engineering teams to transform concepts, requirements and telemetry into services and tools
- Be passionate about learning and adopting new technologies that will ease your day-to-day job.
We seek “Packet People”. Excellent IPMPLS routing knowledge, both standards-based theory and industry implementation view (Segment Routing, OSPF, BGP, ISIS, MPLS based VPN’s). 2-5 years of experience engineering andor supporting packet transport solutions in the context of large carrier and enterprise networks is essential.
- “Vendor agnostic” hands-on experience and approach to engineering, testing or deploying networks on Carrier Ethernet or IPMPLS based platforms. Willingness to learn and operate gear from prolific networking equipmentsolution vendors such as Ciena, Juniper, Cisco, Huawei, Nokia etc..
- Hands-on experience and working provisioningtroubleshootingoperating knowledge of technologies essential to packet networking solutions such as Ipv4, Ipv6, Segment Routing, MPLS based VPNs, Interior Gateway Protocols, Exterior Gateway Protocols, Precision Time Protocol, Synchronous Ethernet, Router Management, Security, Virtualization, Automation.
- Familiarity with netconfyang and prolific industry orchestration and management solutions for packet networks would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of UNIX/LINUX and Windows.
- Debugging and troubleshooting skills. Knowledge of the common tools for doing so.
- Testing skills and operating knowledge of prolific packet and synchronization test sets.
- Team player with ability to collaborate and interact with cross-functional organizations both within Ciena, our customers and with our partners in the face of significant challenge or ambiguity
- Ability to work with customers and account teams to understand requirements and priorities
- Multitasking and adaptability to changing project, priorities and market demands. Ability to work calmly and effectively under tight schedule constraints.
- Availability for frequent Domestic and International travel at short notice.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication, and documentation skills
- Experience in the development and presentation of informational materials.
- Experience in the meticulous execution of test plans or method of procedure while thoroughly documenting results in a comprehensive matter
Being You @ Ciena
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual’s strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination. Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
We do not charge any fee for employment and the same applies to the Recruitment Partners we work with. Additionally, we do not ask for any refundable security deposit to be paid in bank accounts for employment purposes. We request candidates to be cautious of misleading communications and not pay any fee/ deposit to individuals/ agencies/ employment portals on the pretext of attending Ciena’s interview process or seeking employment with us.