Soil Scientist/Project Manager
City : SASKATCHEWAN
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Soil Scientist/Project Manager - ( 230000E5 )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities we support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
We are growing our Environmental Services team in British Columbia. As a Soil Scientist/Project Manager, you will work on all phases of resource projects, including environmental assessments, permitting, and compliance. You will collaborate with reclamation, vegetation, and geotechnical professionals and provide sound advice related to soil management. Candidates across Western Canada will also be considered.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Design and implement baseline soil surveys following CANSIS and/or Describing Terrestrial Ecosystems in the Field
- Determine and calculate land capabilities (reclamation suitability, agricultural capability)
- Contribute to environmental plans related to soil salvage and sediment and erosion control
- Provide soil expertise for construction and reclamation monitoring for compliance with environmental and regulatory guidelines and/or commitments
- Write technical reports presenting results of baseline studies, assessing potential effects, and describing suitable management and mitigation measures
- Project manage/coordinate environmental services projects
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong understanding and experience in environmental assessment process and/or environmental permitting in BC and demonstrated knowledge of relevant provincial and federal regulations and guidelines.
- Knowledge of geomorphologic and pedogenic processes.
- Technical field knowledge of soils in western and northern Canada.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Demonstrated project management/coordination skills including adhering to budgets and schedules including a disciplined approach to project execution and technical excellence.
- Proficient in and consistently demonstrate and promote policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training (if applicable).
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment under deadlines.
- Experience in pre-and post-mining land capability predictions and reclamation planning is an asset.
- Drive collaborative efforts within the region and beyond to deliver consistent, high quality, and appropriately scoped technical work.
- Able to endure long days of physically and mentally challenging fieldwork while maintaining a positive, solutions-focused attitude.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in Soil Science, Environmental Science, Physical Geography, Agriculture, Ecology or a technical Soils related field is required.
Fully qualified professional (e.g., Registered Professional Agrologist or Geoscientist) accreditation required.
Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Soil Scientist contributing to projects in British Columbia.
Experience scoping, budgeting, and leading component of environmental assessments and/or permit applications.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining stationary at a workstation for long periods of time. Field work may include work in remote environments, challenging terrain, and exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice .
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Other Locations : Canada-Saskatchewan, Canada-Alberta, Canada-British Columbia
Organization : BC-1232 Environmental Services-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 27, 2023, 4:31:21 PM
Req ID: 230000E5
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans