Social Media Specialist (Temporary)
City : Oakville
Category : Full time - Temporary
Industry : Education
Employer : Sheridan College
The Social Media Specialist supports the implementation of Sheridan’s social media plan to support prospective and current student audiences. The incumbent collaborates with stakeholders throughout Sheridan and drives the adoption of social media best practices and technologies across programs and departments. An enthusiastic and passionate advocate for social media, the incumbent focuses on content creation, provides guidance on social media policies, procedures and guidelines, and delivers social media training. The incumbent interacts with Sheridan’s audience in real time through core channels, acting as a key liaison for the College, participating in online conversations to answer questions, offer solutions, mediate conversations, create content for feeds and spark discussion on various social networking sites. Social media is a highly complex and nuanced environment, so demonstrated experience in reputation management is required.
What You’ll be Doing
- Working with Sheridan’s stakeholders in various Faculties and departments to implement social media best practices and technologies;
- Proactively generating content for Sheridan’s main social channels to drive prospect and current student engagement with Sheridan’s social channels, and to drive traffic to the main website and Sheridan Central. Content includes short and engaging copy, photos, short videos, and other visuals to promote the people, programs and perspectives that make Sheridan unique.
- Coordinates the prospective and current student social media editorial calendar, including takeovers;
- Interacting proactively with online communities in various platforms, including monitoring for potential issues requiring intervention;
- Responding to inquiries and generating discussions, while liaising with other departments such as the Contact Centre and International to optimize their social media responses;
- Working with the Manager, Social Media to develop an ongoing communication strategy and publishing calendar based on Sheridan’s Strategic Plan and community feedback;
- Delivering formal training to Sheridan staff in various Faculties and Departments to ensure they are knowledgeable in social media best practices.
- Providing holistic analysis of Sheridan’s social media tactics to better understand how they can benefit the larger Communications plans; identifying goals and recommending channels and tactics to optimize the institution’s reach and impact;
- Identifying Sheridan advocates and storytellers to feature on Sheridan’s social media channels;
- Other duties as assigned.
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills, and have extensive branded content creation experience.
- You use your interpersonal skills to build working relationships and are well-versed in reputation management.
- The successful candidate(s) will also meet the following:
- 3-year diploma/degree in Marketing, Communications, Advertising, Journalism, Media, Public Relations, or related field along with a minimum of 3-years experience in online marketing with focus on social media including business experience using enterprise social media software platforms such as MishGuru, Brandwatch and Hootsuite Enterprise.
- Experience in reputation management, communications, customer service, advertising, public relations, or online marketing.
- Graphic design skills and content development experience.
- Experience in social media analytics and reporting as well as email platforms such as Emma for engaging internal clients.
- Experience with various technologies such as social media Customer Relationship Management (CRM), monitoring and measurement and Google Analytics and campaign tagging.
Who We Are:
“Every member of the Sheridan community is passionate about the transformational role we play in people’s lives. Our strategic plan, Sheridan 2024: Galvanizing Education for a Complex World (https://sheridan2024.sheridancollege.ca/), charts a path towards a new ground-breaking model of higher education that reshapes post-secondary education and better prepares students for the future. We are committed to demonstrably advancing equity, diversity and inclusivity. Diversity is our strength and fuels our commitment to excellence. Across our campuses, we’re making meaningful strides towards developing an equitable and inclusive community”.
- For more information, visit: Why Work at Sheridan
Faculty/Department: Communications, Public Affairs, Marketing
Campus Location: Trafalgar (may be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus) once normal campus operations resume. This position is currently working a hybrid model.
Reference #: J1122-1722
Employee Group: Support Staff - Appendix D
Hourly Range: $33.38 – $38.75
Hours: 8:30 – 4:30pm
Application Deadline: December 31, 2022
Application Details: This is a temporary position that may continue until January 19, 2024.
Sheridan is deeply committed to implementing the Calls to Action framed by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. We acknowledge that we live and work on the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nations, Anishinaabe Nation, Huron-Wendat and the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. Sheridan is situated on these lands and it is our collective responsibility to honour and respect those who have gone before us, those who are here, and those who have yet to come. We are grateful for the opportunity to be working on this land.
Sheridan values the diverse and intersectional identities of its students, faculty, and staff. Sheridan regards equity and diversity as an integral part of academic excellence and is committed to accessibility for all employees. Sheridan seeks applicants who embrace our values of equity, anti-racism and inclusion. As such, we encourage applications from qualified candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including those who identify as First Nations, Métis and/or Inuit/Inuk, Black, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.
Sheridan is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. If you have any application, interview, or workplace accommodation requests, please contact Human Resources.
You may be asked to provide copies of your educational credentials at the time of interview. Upon hire, we require official confirmation of educational credentials and Canadian equivalency assessments, if applicable.