Snowflake Administrator & Operational Support (Freedom Mobile)
City : Toronto
Category : Full-time
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Shaw
A little about us
At Freedom, we’re proud to be leaders in a movement that brings affordable wireless services to Canadians – we’re always on the lookout for go-getters that are committed to disrupting the status quo. Does that sound like you? We’d love to meet you.
The Snowflake Administrator will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of Cloud Platform Databases, to ensure the availability and consistent performance of our corporate applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring solid technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and sustainment and integration of multiple On-Prem & Cloud Databases with Snowflake as Data warehouse ensuring operational readiness (security, health, and performance), supporting multiple development teams, and troubleshooting day-to-day operational issues as they arise.
A typical day
• Design, optimize, document, and implement the operational aspects in supporting the snowflake cloud data platform, including cost monitoring and optimizations, user security auditing etc
• Implement Snowflake standards and methodologies for DB security – both infrastructure and app level
• Implement/support automation for administering Snowflake - Accounts/Databases, user management and roles-based access control (RBAC).
• Create and monitor Snowflake utilization and capacity plan.
• Performs database tuning, Identify, and troubleshoot performance bottlenecks and makes recommendations to optimize application performance and optimize the problematic SQL queries in Snowflake.
• Implement Snowflake user /query log analysis and alerts.
• Implement data encryption/decryption/masking policies to protect PII/PCI data.
• Implement data sharing /replication – cross cloud/cross region for internal/external clients.
• Configuring changes and upgrades, collaborate with application/migration teams with database activities.
• Implement/support automation for production deployment in Snowflake using GitHub.
• Define & Perform DR and DB restore processes.
• Work on critical incidents, user service requests and be responsible for SLA adherence, tracking, and reporting.
• Create standards, processes, policies, and procedures as per snowflake best practices.
• Performs support, as required, adhering to on-call processes and problem escalation processes.
• Adheres to change management processes.
• Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
• Must have complete understanding of Snowflake Architecture, Configurations, features and functionalities.
• Must have knowledge of how data gets processed and consumed in the Data Platform and how to automate the completed process.
• 4+ years of experience of Administration, scalability, performance tuning, trouble shooting, monitoring, alerts & Reporting using Native tools of Snowflake.
• 4+ year experience in SQL, Unix Shell, Python & JSON Scripting.
• Knowledge of security (SAML, SCIM, OAuth, OpenID, Kerberos, Policies, entitlements etc.)
• Understanding and Experience of working with cloud based ETL/ELT tool like Informatica IICS & Matillion.
• Experience with architecting and maintaining high availability production systems.
• Experience of working with cloud hosted large data warehouses.
• Experience with AWS CLI and Networking is a plus.
• Experience of configuring AWS services EC2, IAM, S3, security group etc. is a plus.
• Must be capable of working independently and collaboratively.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Information Science, or relevant Certifications.
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality.
• Ability to organize, plan work independently and multi-task
• AWS or Snowflake certification is preferred.
• This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check
At Freedom, we believe diversity and inclusion are integral to the continued growth and success of our entire company. We believe diversity and inclusion enhances our Company’s culture and creates a sense of belonging where people feel comfortable bringing their true selves to work. This in turn promotes innovation through harnessing the variety of experiences, thoughts, and perspectives our employees have to offer. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of race, gender, age, or any other identifying characteristic. Freedom Mobile Inc, through its third-party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for below. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Freedom Mobile Inc. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner. Your profile will become inactive and moved to the archive if you do not access your profile for a period of 1 year.