Six Sigma Black Belt
City : Saskatoon
Category : Other
Industry : Food/Packaging
Employer : Maple Leaf Foods
The Opportunity:The Black Belt role is a leadership position within the organization with the key responsibility for leading and supporting process improvement efforts within Maple Leaf Foods; as well as externally to strategic customers, suppliers and other stakeholders. The focus of these improvement efforts is to build organizational capability to deliver process improvements, increasing business productivity, shareholder and customer value.
Six Sigma is foundational to our culture of discipline. It is how Maple Leaf Foods improves business processes and drives performance. It is the way we solve problems and implement significant change. Black Belts provide the methods and tools to enable the business to improve processes, solving complex problems using analytics. The Six Sigma Black Belt is also expected to understand process management principles and various process improvement methods including Operations Excellence (Lean Manufacturing). This role is recognized as an opportunity to develop our next operations leaders
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Understand and support execution of site objectives. Assist with the identification and quantification of Critical Business Needs (CBN) and primary opportunities for improvement
- Facilitate OEE Continuous Improvement process with cross-functional site teams including setting of annual OEE improvement targets and facilitating weekly status reviews and action planning
- Support the facilitation and development of the site CI plan including project pipeline and monitoring the overall progress and status of the plan
- Ensure CI project teams are utilizing the appropriate improvement methodology (Six Sigma, Lean, OpEx tools) including training on tools and application as required
- Conduct business case and risk analysis as required. Provide CI Project Management support utilizing DMADV / PDCA framework
- Research and apply functional best practices within project scope
- Ensure sustainable results through application of change management and pragmatic control plans
- Provide coaching to leaders on Six Sigma, Lean and OpEx methodology & tools
- Support Site Leaders in deployment of Operations Excellence framework including annual baseline assessment and pillar team deployment. Lead the Waste Elimination teams to build operator skills at identifying and eliminating waste.
- Understanding and supporting functional objectives and strategies
- Assisting with the identification and quantification of major opportunity areas, including the re-application of learning across MLF
- Sit on management team at plant
- Must be open to coaching and actively learn within the role.
- Periodic travel may be required for training or project work
- Black Belts are provided with formal training in Six Sigma Methodologies and Tools which includes advanced statistical analysis and modeling, change management and project management
- The Six Sigma organization has Technical Directors that have specialized knowledge in the tools and methodologies to provide ongoing coaching support for Black Belts
- Black Belts are eligible for a variety of functional and leadership training programs provided by Maple Leaf Foods
What You’ll Bring:
- University degree (BSc., Engineering or Operations Management).
- Minimum 5 to 8 years of full-time work experience depending on level of responsibility; experience in manufacturing or supply chain and commercial, finance or other transactional functions an asset
- Track record of delivering winning results
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills including application of process improvement and quality tools. Lives the value of getting things done in a fact-based way
- Strong communication skills. Ability to communicate well (verbal and written) with all levels of the organization, including senior leadership
- Demonstrated ability to effect change through influence
- Has led and/or coached prior continuous improvement projects. Considered a strong coach on continuous improvement concepts
- Experience in leading complex projects that require strong leadership, initiative, and change management would be an asset
- Previous experience with Six Sigma tools and methodology is a requirement
- Demonstrated ability to implement and teach Lean Methodologies and Operational Excellence
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
About Us:We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
A diverse and inclusive work environmentChampioning diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based cultureOur eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.