SIU Senior Investigator, AML Risk
City : Mississauga, ON, CA, L4W0B4
Category : Business and Financial Operations
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 168114
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Contributes to the overall success of the Financial Intelligence Unit by conducting investigations intended to effectively mitigate risk and address all relevant regulatory requirements. Ensures all activities conducted comply with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
Investigates time-sensitive cases referred to the FIU / SIU by the AOC, team members, and BNS partners for reasonable grounds to suspect (“RGS”) potential money laundering (“ML”) and/or terrorist financing (“TF”).
Performs investigations and documents clearly reasoned findings and actions associated with FIU / SIU investigations, along with the delivery of timely disposition of such investigations.
• Performs and documents FIU / SIU ML/TF investigations, along with maintaining supporting information, in accordance with the GAMLU and FIU / SIU policies and procedures.
• Researches client records, customer activities, and account information to determine whether usual activity may indicate reasonable grounds to suspect (“RGS”) ML activities or TF.
• Prepares and delivers investigative results to the appropriate staff, including identification of trends and areas of improvement.
• Identifies and properly reports RGS within the regulatory reporting requirements and timelines.
• Recommends risk mitigation actions and next steps at the conclusion of FIU / SIU investigations.
• Apprises and advises senior personnel regarding on-going investigations and findings.
• Communicates regularly with leadership to identify challenges and obstacles related to the team’s objectives.
• Provides mentoring, coaching and feedback regarding recommendations and best practices for enterprise investigations, as appropriate.
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge and skill sets relevant for ML, TF, sanction and other regulatory matters to perform case investigations.
• Shares subject matter expertise and provides specialized advice, guidance and direction to team members on money laundering, financing of terrorism, and escalates them accordingly.
• Identifies challenges and obstacles related to the team’s objectives and escalates them accordingly.
• Understands how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
• Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
• Champions a high performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
• Investigators in the FIU or SIU may be moved from the FIU to SIU or vice versa at the discretion of the management team.
Education / Experience
University degree, or equivalent, and a minimum of 2 years’ experience in AML disciplines. Extensive investigative skills along with 5 years of documented AML or law enforcement experience may substitute for University degree requirements. In addition,
• Demonstrated expertise in ML/TF investigations
• Knowledge of local and relevant AML laws and regulations
• Strong understanding of financial transactions along with and understanding of technology
• Good investigative skills and demonstrated understanding of complex financial transactions
• Strong writing and analytical skills
• Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement as to the materiality of risks where identified
• Proven ability in determining required risk mitigation activities with appropriate consideration to the impact of the business line
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Uses an analytical approach to problem solving, with a focus on managing a team environment coupled with attention to results and a sense of urgency
• Ability to communicate in French and/or Spanish is an asset
• Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) designation is an asset
• Exemplary integrity and ethics in all instances
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Mississauga
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.