Site Superintendent (“Builder”)
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Full-Time
Industry : Construction - Site
Employer : Mattamy Homes
Ottawa, Ontario – On site 5 days/week
Mattamy Homes Canada
Construction Site, Ottawa Division
When it comes to forward-thinking homebuilding and thoughtfully planned communities, Canadians think of Mattamy Homes. And that success is centered on a foundation of great people, because our team is as solid as they come. At Mattamy, we are optimistic, hardworking and supportive. Together we learn and grow as we strive to create a positive impact in the homebuilding industry. Contributing to the Mattamy Way means being surrounded by caring people who encourage you to be exactly who you are. It means your opinion is invited and your contributions count. And it means a career filled with pride, knowing you’re part of an environmentally-conscious, action-oriented organization with big plans for the future. The opportunity to bring the future of living to homeowners based on what Canadians value is exciting – and we’re making it happen.
Learn more about what makes working at Mattamy special and our award-winning culture.
What we offer
The Builder (Site Superintendent) oversees the timely construction of each home from carpentry to warranty service request signoff. Reporting to the Senior Builder, the Builder is responsible for producing zero-defect homes through effective management of trades, inspectors, suppliers, and staff. The Builder acts as the primary representative of the company on construction matters to homeowners and maintains an aesthetically appealing, safe worksite and professional and efficient work environment.
What you’ll do
- Provides exemplary people leadership including performance management, recognition, coaching onboarding and training.
- Demonstrate a customer-first approach and attitude in all aspects of work.
- Ensures complete adherence to Mattamy Construction Processes, in accordance with Policy and Procedures.
- Accountable for managing the construction of assigned homes from carpentry to 30-day warranty service request signoff.
- Monitors all daily trade functions: timeliness, quality of workmanship and completion of work.
- Walks all homes on a daily basis to ensure imperfections are noted, Building Code is adhered to, and Homebuyers Options and Extras are complied with. Adheres to procedures as required by the trade Scopes of Work and Mattamy Quality Standards and takes corrective action as necessary.
- Conducts a detailed frame check on each unit prior to drywall, in accordance with Mattamy Policy and Procedures, and follows up to ensure the timely completion of any items noted.
- Schedules and conducts homeowner frame walk.
- Responsible for supervising on-site construction staff, including the scheduling of subcontractors, inspectors and suppliers on the job.
- Resolves day-to-day problems on the job site, inspecting all work during construction to ensure compliance with plans and specifications, and resolving construction problems.
- Approves subcontractor invoice for quality and quantity before issuing Completion Slip.
- Assists in ordering all materials required to construct houses.
- Continuously trains and mentors staff.
- Reinforces and educates the importance of schedule adherence (and assists where trade availability is causing difficulty), unwavering focus on Mattamy mission, and safety and quality standards.
- Communicates and coordinates activities with other staff (Site and Head Office) to ensure smooth production operation.
- Schedules and attends all necessary municipal inspections. Assists Inspectors with the completion of the review, and rectifies issues as required.
- Responsible for managing to the Production Schedule and updating it no less than weekly. Adds comments regarding site changes and improvements as necessary and communicates to Senior Builder.
- Ensures all work is being done in a safe manner and enforces safety standards and laws within positions scope of authority.
- Ensures homes are as clean and aesthetically appealing as possible while under construction.
What you bring
- A minimum of 4 years residential construction management experience in the new home industry.
- Post-secondary education/community college in a related field (e.g. Construction Engineering Technology)
- Extensive knowledge of Ontario Building Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and other health and safety regulations.
- Clear understanding of contracts, plans, and specifications, as well as construction methods, materials and regulations. Includes knowledge of all trades, staff responsibilities, scheduling and scopes of work.
- Flexible, with the ability to work at locations across the Ottawa Area.
- Excellent Customer Service skills.
- Strong organizational skills, including the tracking and control of costs and budgets.
- Must be detailed and thorough.
- Ability to train and mentor staff through advanced leadership skills with the ability to delegate as required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required, both oral and written. Willing to take responsibility and be held accountable for results.
- Skills in building relationships with a broad network of contacts, including trade partners and suppliers and a strong customer focus.
- Proficient with MS Office software; knowledge of BuildPro or other ERP platform an asset.
- Bilingual in two or more languages
- Demonstrated experience using BuildPro/SupplyPro
We encourage applicants who meet most of the role requirements to hit that submit button and apply! It’s okay if you don’t have 100% of the requirements. If you’re the right candidate, we’ll help you learn and grow.
Who we are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across Canada and the United States. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
Be yourself. We want it that way.
At Mattamy, we're passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important to the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues, and communities. From how we build our teams to cultivating our leaders, we're on a journey toward a welcoming, barrier-free culture for everyone.
Mattamy Homes Canada is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.